Vaccination Week in the Americas, 26 April – 3 May 2014
The 12th celebration of Vaccination Week in the Americas (VWA) took place from 26 April - 3 May 2014 with the regional slogan: “Vaccination: Your best shot.” This slogan was chosen to encourage people to protect themselves and the Region against the importation of polio, measles, and other vaccine-preventable diseases, in the context of the upcoming 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
VWA is an extraordinary effort led by the countries and territories of the Region to advance equity and access to vaccination. VWA activities strengthen the national immunization programs in the Americas by reaching out to populations with little access to regular health services, such as those populations living in urban fringes, rural and border areas and in indigenous communities. Since its inception in 2003, more than 465 million individuals of all ages have been vaccinated during campaigns conducted under the framework of the initiative.
VWA also provides a highly visible platform to raise population awareness regarding the importance of immunization and to keep the topic on the forefront of political agendas. To learn more about VWA, please follow the links on this page.
Vaccination Week in the Americas has been included as one of the five memorable moments in public health by the Global Development Professionals Network of the Guardian Newspaper (U.K). Read more
Vaccination Weeks Around the World
This April also marked the 3rd celebration of World Immunization Week (WIW), which provides a formal framework that links sister vaccination week initiatives in all other WHO Regions. Links to the WIW website and each region’s vaccination week are found below.
- African Vaccination Week
- Eastern Mediterranean Vaccination Week
- European Immunization Week
- South-East Asia Vaccination Week
- Western Pacific Vaccination Week
- Border Health Commission-National Infant Immunization Week (USA-Mexico)
- CDC-National Infant Immunization Week (USA)
- National Immunization Awareness Week (Canada)
- World Immunization Week (World Health Organization)
Links of Interest
- PAHO Immunization Website
- WHO Fact Sheet on Measles
- WHO - List of 25 Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Measles Rubella Initiative
- Vaccine Ambassadors
- Gates Foundation Vaccine Delivery
- Shot @ Life
Vaccination Week Photo Book