A Task Force on the deadly Ebola Virus was recently appointed by the Right Hon. Perry G. Christie, Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas. The group is comprised of several members of The Cabinet, including Minister of National Security-Hon. Dr. Bernard Nottage; Minister of Foreign Affairs and Immigration-Hon. Frederick Mitchell; Minister of Tourism-Hon. Obie Wilchcombe; Minister of Health-Hon. Dr. M. Perry Gomez; State Minister of Legal Affairs-Hon. Damian Gomez, and Minister of Transport and Aviation-Hon. Glenys Hannah Martin. Key personnel from government ministries and representation from the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization Country Office in the person of Dr. Gerry Eijkemans, Representative, were also invited to serve. In addition, the PWR was invited to brief the Prime Minister and his team on the Ebola situation and to provide advice on preparedness and response for The Bahamas on an on-going basis.
Dr. Gerry Eijkemans, PWR, addresses members of the task force and members of the media at yesterday’s press conference.
The Task Force met Monday, 20 October at the Office of the Prime Minister, to review the country’s approach to implementing preventative measures for tackling the Ebola virus.
A series of follow-up meetings have been scheduled, commencing 21 October.
PAHO/WHO Country Office Supports Implementation of National Health Insurance, Commonwealth of The Bahamas
In continuation of the process of the implementation of National Health Insurance in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, the PAHO/WHO Country Office mobilized Professor P. Gregory Marchildon, a high level Expert on the Canadian Health System, to visit Nassau during the week of 13-17 October 2014. Dr. Marchildon currently serves as Research Chair in Public Policy and Economic History at the University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, and is Professor in the faculty of Administration. He previously served as Executive Director of the Romanow Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada from 2001-2002. The visit was in direct response to a request from the Hon. Dr. M. Perry Gomez, Minister of Health of The Bahamas.
- Grand Bahama Environmental Health Assessment Project
- The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands held the National Consultation on PAHO Strategy for Universal Health Coverage
- PAHO Supports the Caribbean Association of Nutritionists and Dieticians (CANDi) Biennual conference in the Bahamas
- The Bahamas commences construction of its new Cold Storage Room for Vaccines
- Strategic Approach to Integrated Chemical Management [SAICM], The Bahamas
- PAHO Supports Crisis Management Workshop/Simulation Exercise on Bioterrorism in Nassau, The Bahamas, 19th through 21st February, 2014
- Bahamas Office Welcomes Premier of The Turks and Caicos Islands
- HIV Testing Day in Nassau, The Bahamas, 28th June, 2013
- Implementation of mhGAP Pilot Project in The Bahamas, June 2013
- Technical Support for the Construction of a new Cold Storage Room for Vaccines in The Bahamas