The Ministry of Health of The Bahamas has been steadily expanding the number and types of vaccines included in its National Immunization Program. Varicella vaccine, DTaP Adults and Pneumococcal Conjugated Pediatric 13-Valent are the latest new biological products introduced in the last three years.
At present, the PAHO Bahamas Office is working in collaboration with the Department of Environmental Health Services (DEHS) on an activity which involves strengthening chemical management at the national level through the Strategic Approach to International Chemical Management (SAICM) Quick Start Project. The use and production of chemicals in modern society is a sometime invisible staple of daily life. However, the production, storage, transport, use and disposal of chemicals involve risks of gradual environmental contamination, and daily risks of both the general public, but also the health of the workers involved with these processes. Additionally, the risk of major chemical accidents resulting from technological incidents has the potential to affect the acute and long-term health of persons.
Hon. Kenred Dorsett, Minister of Housing and Environment at opening of the Workshop on Chemical Management, September 18th, 2013, Nassau, The Bahamas
PAHO Supports Crisis Management Workshop/Simulation Exercise on Bioterrorism in Nassau, The Bahamas, 19th through 21st February, 2014
The Ministry of National Security of The Bahamas last week hosted a three day workshop on Crisis Management, as well as a Simulation Exercise on Bioterrorism in Nassau. The workshop, which was held at the Paul Farquharson Centre, Police Headquarters, East Street, 19th through 21st February, 2014, was attended by Dr. Gerry Eijkemans, PWR- The Bahamas and The Turks and Caicos Islands and Mr. Sherlin Brown, Administrator/Disaster Focal Point from the local office. Ms. Lealou Reballos, Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist of PAHO's Office of Caribbean Program Coordination [CPC] based in Bridgetown, Barbados, was also in Nassau to attend the workshop and also made 2 presentations.
- Bahamas Office Welcomes Premier of The Turks and Caicos Islands
- HIV Testing Day in Nassau, The Bahamas, 28th June, 2013
- Implementation of mhGAP Pilot Project in The Bahamas, June 2013
- Technical Support for the Construction of a new Cold Storage Room for Vaccines in The Bahamas
- PAHO/WHO Bahamas and Universal Health Coverage in the Bahamas
- Mental Health and Disasters in The Bahamas
- PAHO Director Dr. Carissa F. Etienne Congratulates Haiti on National Plan of Action on Cholera
- PAHO/WHO Representative Visits Grand Turk
- Meeting Discusses Integration of Mental Health Services into Primary Health Care
- OHS Planning Meeting Summary