World Conference on Social Determinants of Health
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19-21 October 2011
The aim of the World Conference on Social Determinants of Health is to bring
States and other actors together to catalyze high level political support for national policies to address social determinants of health to reduce health inequities. Its specific objectives are to:
· strengthen political commitment by Member States to develop and implement national policies on social determinants of health to reduce health inequities;
· share experiences, challenges and technical knowledge on addressing social determinants of health, taking into account the need for strengthening governance arrangements and learning from different contexts.
Conference participation and outcome - The '
The Conference will serve as a catalyst for the coordination of efforts by national governments, international agencies, academic institutions and civil society organizations in the fight against health inequities. 800 participants are expected, including delegates from health and other sectors, Civil society organizations, academics, the private sector and representatives from WHO and other UN and international agencies. Participation will be by invitation only.
Participating Member States will be requested to approve the Rio Declaration that will express the global political commitment to implement action on the social determinants of health.
The main themes that will be tackled during the conference are:
· Governance to tackle the root causes of health inequities: implementing intersectoral action and Health in All Policies.
· Health systems as a social determinant: the role of the health sector, including services and public health programmes, in improving health inequities.
· Monitoring progress: measurement and analysis of health inequities and policies to address social determinants.
· Promoting participation: community leadership for action on social determinants.
· Action on social determinants to achieve global priorities and the role of global partners.