EOC Situation Report #10
- Sustained human-to-human transmission has been confirmed only in Mexico and USA Therefore Phase 5 remains.
- The situation continues to evolve with more countries reporting confirmed cases, 19 countries have officially reported 787 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.
- The following countries in other regions have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths: Austria (1), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Denmark (1), France (2), Germany (6), Ireland (1), Israel (3), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).
- The World Health Assembly is scheduled in Geneva as planned (18-27 May 2009). The World Health Assembly is WHO’s highest decision-making body.
Status of the Region
- Mexico: 506 confirmed cases of influenza A(H1N1), including 9 deaths. There is evidence of a slowing of the reporting of the number of new cases.
- The United States: 226 confirmed cases of influenza A(H1N1), including 1 death.
- Canada: 85 confirmed cases of new influenza A(H1N1); some with recent travel history to Mexico.
- Costa Rica: 1 confirmed case with recent travel history to Mexico
- Colombia: 1 confirmed case with recent travel history to Mexico.
- El Salvador: 2 confirmed cases with recent travel history.
- A daily epidemiological report is posted on the PAHO website; updated reports from Mexico’s Secretary of Health can be found on the Dirección General de Epidemiología in Mexico .
Map of at-risk areas
See Situation Report #9 of Saturday, May 2, 2009, for additional information that remains valid.
- Contact the PAHO EOC at +1 202 974 3399 or