May 31 was designated as World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) by the Member States of the World Health Organization in 1987 to stress the importance to fight against the tobacco epidemic, and to reduce the preventable death and diseases caused by its consumption.
Each year, a specific theme is highlighted. Materials and activities focused on the theme are designed to raise awareness of the dangers of using tobacco, the business practices of tobacco companies, what WHO is doing to fight the tobacco epidemic, and what people around the world can do to claim their right to health and healthy living and to protect future generations.
Previous WNTD at PAHO
- WNTD 2009: Tobacco Health Warnings
- WNTD 2008: Tobacco Free Youth
- WNTD 2007: Smoke-free inside – create and enjoy
- WNTD 2006: Tobacco: Deadly in any form or disguise
- WNTD 2005: Health professionals against tobacco
- WNTD 2004: Tobacco and poverty: A vicious circle
- WNTD 2003: Tobacco-free film, tobacco-free fashion
- WNTD 2002: Tobacco-free sports
- WNTD 2001: Tobacco smoke harms us all. Let's clear the air
- WNTD 2000: Quit the dependency: Tobacco costs too much