62nd World Health Assembly.
18-22 of May 2009.
The 62nd session of the World Health Assembly is taking place in Geneva during 18-22 May 2009. At this session, the Health Assembly is scheduled to discuss a number of public health issues, including:
- pandemic influenza preparedness: sharing of influenza viruses and access to vaccines and other benefits;
- implementation of the International Health Regulations;
- primary health care, including health system strengthening;
- social determinants of health; and
- monitoring the achievement of the health-related Millennium Development Goals.
The Health Assembly will also discuss the programme budget, administration and management matters of WHO. 62nd World Health Assembly (WHA), more information ...
AMRO's Delegation (WHO's Regional Office for the Americas) is composed by:
- Dr. Mirta Roses Periago, PAHO's Director. (AMRO)Regional Director for the Americas of the WHO
- Catherine Cocco, Chief of Staff, PAHO-Office of the Director
- Dra. Mariela Licha-Salomón, Coordinator, PAHO-Country Focus Support Office
- Dr. Heidi Jiménez, Legal Counsel, PAHO-Office of Legal Counsel
- Dr. Dr. Carol Boyd-Scobie, PAHO/WHO Representative, Trinidad & Tobago.
- Dr. Philippe Lamy, PAHO/WHO Representative, Mexico
- Dr. Antonio Pagés, PAHO/WHO Representative, Argentina
- Dr. Joaquín Molina, PAHO/WHO Representative, Guatemala
- Oscar Chávez, delegation's assistant
AMRO's Regional Director, Dr. Mirta Roses, lead the PAHO's delegation to the 62nd World Health Assembly. During the celebration of the assembly the delegation fulfills an intensive agenda of work which address some of the main health issues and public health policies currently in focus for the institution as the health agency for the Americas.
During the celebration of the assembly the delegation of PAHO will have the opportunity to participate and carry out important meetings with global and regional health authorities, especially attention will have the following meetings and subjects:
- Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting;
- Meeting with CARICOM Delegations and CARICOM Secretariat;
- High level technical consultation on A(H1N1);
- CARPHA - CARICOM Delegations and CARICOM Secretariat;
- Seminar "Partnering for Safe Medicines";
- Technical meeting: impact of the economic and financing crisis on the world health;
- International recruitment of the health workers: project of world code of conduct;
- Revolving fund;
- Meeting with the Non-Aligned Movement countries;
- Videoconference to discusss GAVI E-230;
- Technical meeting (safe surgical practices checklist);
- Health, environment, and climate change.
WHO - Press Releases:
In her address to the Health Assembly, WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan noted that the world was facing multiple crises, including the current financial crisis and global economic downturn. In addition to this, it also faced the prospect of the first influenza pandemic of this century.
She said that the world today was more vulnerable to the adverse effects of an influenza pandemic than it was in 1968, when the last pandemic began. The increase in air travel meant that any city with an international airport was at risk of an imported case. Global economic interdependence amplified the potential for economic disruption.
PAHO. Photo Gallery. 18-19 May 2009.
Heads of Delegation meeting prior to the inauguration of the 62nd WHA. Room XII. Palais of Nations.
All the delegates of the member countries were present, the Minister of Health of Mexico also attended the meeting.
Dr. Roses with WHO Clusters's managers and with the WHO's Regional Directors at the inauguration ceremony.
High level consultation meeting on A(H1N1) Influenza virus
PAHO's Director, Dr. Mirta Roses with the US Secretary of Health, Dr. Kathleen Sebelius.
The US Secretary of Health attented the meeting together with Dr. Margaret Chan, Director-General of WHO, the Minister of Health of Mexico and the CDC offering information and discussing on the new virus of influenza A(H1N1). Palais of Nations.
Dr. Roses delivered a presentation talking about issues of common interest.