EOC Situation Report #21
Thursday, 11 June 2009
6:00 pm, EDT
- The World Health Organization raised its global pandemic alert level to Phase 6 today. This means that sustained community transmission of a new influenza virus has now been confirmed in more than one WHO region, and that a global pandemic is now officially declared. Read the Director General's statement to the press.
- It is important to note that the change in phase reflects geographical spread of the new influenza A (H1N1) virus, and not the severity of illness that it causes.
- At this time, WHO considers the overall severity of the influenza pandemic to be moderate. This assessment is based on scientific evidence available to WHO, as well as input from its Member States on the pandemic's impact on their health systems, and their social and economic functioning.
- Countries should prepare to see cases, or the further spread of cases, in the near future. Countries where outbreaks appear to have peaked should prepare for a second wave of infection.
- Guidance on specific protective and precautionary measures has been sent to ministries of health in all countries. Countries with no or only a few cases should remain vigilant.
- Countries with widespread transmission should focus on the appropriate management of patients. The testing and investigation of patients should be limited, as such measures are resource intensive and can very quickly strain capacities.
- WHO continues to recommend no restrictions on travel and no border closures.
- For the latest reports on the status of Influenza A(H1N1) in the Americas please check the daily epidemiological alerts available in the PAHO website.
- Guidance for national authorities.
- PAHO's influenza A (H1N1) portal.
- Pan American Health Organization website.
- World Health Organization website.
- For constant updates on the influenza A(H1N1) situation, check the PAHO and WHO channels in Twitter.
The PAHO/WHO Emergency Operations Center Situation Report will issue situation reports as the situation requires.
- Situation Report # 21, June 11 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 20, May 22 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 19, May 15 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 18, May 12 (PDF) -English - Spanish - French
BULLETINS - 2011
BULLETINS - 2010
BULLETINS - 2009
HIGHLIGHTS - 2014
- Polio Highlight (29) - 19 July 2014 Acute Flaccid Paralysis Rate per 100,000 children <15 years of Age, 1995-2014 Brazil, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America
- Polio Highlight (28) - 12 July 2014 Wild Poliovirus (WPV) Cases - Global. Year to Date Comparison, 2013 - 2014
- Polio Highlight (27) - 05 July 2014 Maintaining the accreditation of the polio laboratories of the Americas. On-site visits to Polio Laboratory Network, 2012-2014
- Polio Highlight (26) - 28 June 2014 Percentage of Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) cases investigated < 48 hours, Region of the Americas 1988-2014*
- Polio Highlight (25) - 21 June 2014
Detection of imported wild poliovirus in environmental samples - Epidemiological Alert, 21 June 2014
- Polio Highlight (24) - 14 June 2014 Percentage of AFP Cases with Adequate Stool Specimens Collected by Country, Last 52 Weeks - Latin America & Caribbean
- Polio Highlight (23) - 07 June 2014 Average of Days Between Sample Taken Date & Result Date, Latin America, 2014
- Polio Highlight (22) - 31 May 2014 Progress towards polio eradication worldwide, 2013–2014
- Polio Highlight (21) - 24 May 2014 Remembering a Hero
- Polio Highlight (20) - 17 May 2014 Districts with Cases Caused by Wild Polioviruses, Previous 6 Months - Global
- Polio Highlight (19) - 10 May 2014 Proportion of 2013 Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) Cases Pending Classification by Country, The Americas
- Polio Highlight (18) - 3 May 2014 Polio declared public health emergency of international concern under International Health Regulations
- Polio Highlight (16) - 19 April 2014 Vaccination Week in the Americas, 26 April – 3 May 2014
- Polio Highlight (15) - 12 April 2014 Adequate Stool Collection Percentage
- Polio Highlight (14) - 05 April 2014 Non-Polio AFP Rate, Global
- Polio Highlight (13) - 29 March 2014 New polio cases in Equatorial Guinea and Iraq
- Polio Highlight (12) - 22 March 2014 WHO South-East Asia Region (SEARO) Certified Polio-free
- Polio Highlight (11) - 15 March 2014 Proportion of 2013 Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) Cases Pending Classification by Country, The Americas
- Polio Highlight (10) - 08 March 2014 Wild Poliovirus (WPV) Cases - Year to Date Comparison, 2013 - 2014
- Polio Highlight (09) - 01 March 2014 Wild Polio Virus Cases 2009-2014, Global
- Polio Highlight (08) - 22 February 2014 New WHO position paper on polio vaccines (2014)
- Polio Highlight (07) - 15 February 2014 Proportion of 2013 Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) Cases Pending Classification by Country, The Americas
- Polio Highlight (06) - 08 February 2014 Circulating Vaccine-derived Poliovirus Cases, 2000-2014 - Global
- Polio Highlight (05) - 01 February 2014 353 2013 AFP cases are pending classification. PAHO urges countries to classify their 2013 AFP cases.
- Polio Highlight (04) - 25 January 2014 Wild Poliovirus Infected Districts - Global, 2012-2013
- Polio Highlight (03) - 18 January 2014 Adequate Stool Collection Percentage - Global
- Polio Highlight (02) - 11 January 2014 India three years polio-free
- Polio Highlight (01) - 04 January 2014 Acute Flaccid Paralysis Rate per 100,000 children <15 years of Age, The Americas, 2013