EOC Situation Report #21
Thursday, 11 June 2009
6:00 pm, EDT
- The World Health Organization raised its global pandemic alert level to Phase 6 today. This means that sustained community transmission of a new influenza virus has now been confirmed in more than one WHO region, and that a global pandemic is now officially declared. Read the Director General's statement to the press.
- It is important to note that the change in phase reflects geographical spread of the new influenza A (H1N1) virus, and not the severity of illness that it causes.
- At this time, WHO considers the overall severity of the influenza pandemic to be moderate. This assessment is based on scientific evidence available to WHO, as well as input from its Member States on the pandemic's impact on their health systems, and their social and economic functioning.
- Countries should prepare to see cases, or the further spread of cases, in the near future. Countries where outbreaks appear to have peaked should prepare for a second wave of infection.
- Guidance on specific protective and precautionary measures has been sent to ministries of health in all countries. Countries with no or only a few cases should remain vigilant.
- Countries with widespread transmission should focus on the appropriate management of patients. The testing and investigation of patients should be limited, as such measures are resource intensive and can very quickly strain capacities.
- WHO continues to recommend no restrictions on travel and no border closures.
- For the latest reports on the status of Influenza A(H1N1) in the Americas please check the daily epidemiological alerts available in the PAHO website.
- Guidance for national authorities.
- PAHO's influenza A (H1N1) portal.
- Pan American Health Organization website.
- World Health Organization website.
- For constant updates on the influenza A(H1N1) situation, check the PAHO and WHO channels in Twitter.
The PAHO/WHO Emergency Operations Center Situation Report will issue situation reports as the situation requires.
- Situation Report # 21, June 11 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 20, May 22 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 19, May 15 (PDF) - English - Spanish - French
- Situation Report # 18, May 12 (PDF) -English - Spanish - French
Health Promotion and Determinants of Health
Healthy Municipalities and Communities
- Trends and Achievement in Promoting Health and Equity in the Americas: Developments 2003-2011 (2011)
- Guidelines - Guide to Document Health Promotion Initiatives (2008)
- Guide to Economic Evaluation in Health Promotion (2007)
- Healthy Habits, Healthy Lives
- Advancing Health Promotion in the Americas: Lessons from 15 Case Studies
Environmental and Occupational Health
Children's Environmental Health
Health and Human Security
- Health and Human Security - Agenda Regional Meeting: Health and Human Security in the Americas, Sept 2012
- Health and Human Security - Fostering Health and Human Security in the Americas (2012)
- Health and Human Security Brochure (2012)
- Health and Human Security Implications for Public Health - Technical Reference Document (2012)
- Regional Health and Human Security Meeting Report (2012)
- Report of the Health and Human Security Regional Meeting (2012)
- Report on Regional Meeting on Health and Human Security in Americas (2012)
- Statement on Peace and Human Security
- ECLAC Report on Caribbean Forum 2013
- UNTFHS Call for Human Security Proposals 2013
- UNTFHS Proposal Guidelines
- Human Security Post 2015
- UN Resolution Human Security - English
- UN Resolution Human Security - Esp
- PAHO HLE HS Statement May 8 2013
- Human Security Briefing NYC July 2013
Sustainable Development and Environmental Health
- Health, Environment and Sustainable Development: Towards the Future We Want
- WHO/PAHO Collaborating Centers Meeting on Sustianable Development and Environmental Health - Workshop on Health and Development in the Context of Rio+20 (2011)
- WHO/PAHO Collaborating Centers Meeting on Sustainable Development and Environmental Health - Final Report (2011)
- Report of Consultative Meeting on Health and Sustainable Development in Region of Americas (2011)
- Aide Memoire - Hepatitis B Immunization of Health Workers
- Regional Plan of Action for the Americas (2001)
- Workers Health - Developing a Strategy for Improve the Quality and Reliability of Analyses Performed in Environmental and Occupational Health Laboratories in The Latin America and Caribbean Region. Report of consultation held at PAHO Headquarters (2005)
- Health and Safety of Workers in the Health Sector - A Manual for Managers and Administrators (2006)
- Protecting the Health of Health Care Workers: A Global Perspective (2007)
- Safety and Health in the Stone Crushing Industry (2009)
- Guidelines on Natural Ventilation for Infection Control (2009)
- Americas Elimination of Silicosis Initiative (2009)
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work 2013 - FS OD 1 2007
- Meeting Report - Sub-Regional Planning Meetings on Occupational Health and Safety in the Caribbean (2013)