This meeting and the materials prepared in conjunction with it fall within the framework of the topic “Elimination of Neglected Diseases and Other Infections Related to Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean,” which was presented and approved by the 144th Session of the Executive Committee, June of 2009, and will be presented in the next Directing Council of the Organization in September 2009.
Objective of the Meeting: To inform the technical counterparts of the Ministries of Health in greater detail regarding the proposal that has been presented to the Governing Bodies of PAHO, indicating rationality, indicator goals and terms.
Participants: The participation of representatives of the Ministries of Health is expected. On the part of PAHO, the technical group preparing the proposal will be present, as well as some of the regional advisers responsible for the subjects that are part of the draft proposal.
Date: 15-17 June 2009.
For the agenda, technical notes, and 10 presentations on the proposed resolution and the current situation of various neglected and poverty-related diseases, see below.
Technical notes (in Spanish)
- Welcome and presentation of the proposed resolution: Dr. Jarbas Barbosa and Dr. Ximena Aguilera (in Spanish)
- Discussion of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminthiasis: Dr. Steven Ault
- Discussion of trachoma: Dr. Juan Carlos Silva (in Spanish)
- Discussion of leprosy: Dr. Renato Gusmão (in Spanish)
- Discussion of plague: Dr. Hugo Tamayo (in Spanish)
- Discussion of Chagas disease: Dr. Roberto Salvatella (in Spanish)
- Discussion of congenital syphilis: Dr. Ricardo Fescina (in Spanish)
- Discussion of human rabies transmitted by dogsogs: Dr. Fernando Leanes (in Spanish)
- Discussion of lymphatic filariasis: Dr. Steven Ault
- Document to be discussed during the 144th Session of the Executive Committee: English | español
- Resolutions, Technical Guides, and Plans Related to the Elimination of Neglected Diseases (Bibliography of links to official PAHO/WHO documents): English| español | português| français
- Provisional Epidemiological Profiles for Neglected and other Poverty Related Infectious Diseases in Latin America and the Caribbean: English| español
- Report of the Consultation on a Trust Fund for Latin America and the Caribbean for the Prevention, Control and Elimination of Neglected and other Infectious Diseases: English| español
Highlights (Neonatal Tetanus)
NIM Neonatal Tetanus Official documents
- Virtual Technical Meeting: Elimination of Neglected and Other Poverty-Related Diseases (June 2009)
- Resolutions, Technical Guides, and Plans Related to the Elimination of Neglected Diseases
- Epidemiological Profiles of Neglected Diseases and Other Infections Related to Poverty in LAC
- Trust Fund: Prevention, Control & Elimination of Neglected and Other Infectious Diseases in LAC