Essential Medicines and Biologicals
Medicines and Health Technologies
|Advisory meeting on innovation for public health in the Americas|
Panama, 16-18 September 2009.
The Area of Technology, Health Care, and Research (THR) of PAHO, in collaboration with the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR), convened the Advisory Meeting on the Innovation for Health in the Americas: Promotion of Research and Development for Health Products.
The meeting brought together interested parties from the Region of the Americas in the areas of research and development for attainable and appropriate health products, from the therapeutic perspective, to meet public health needs.
Expected results of the meeting
1) Create and promote awareness among participants from the Region (for example, the researchers) concerning World Health Assembly Resolutions WHA 61.21 and WHA62.16, CD48.R15 of the Directing Council of PAHO, and other relevant documents.
2) Take advantage of participants’ experiences in different aspects of research and development of health products in order to gather ideas on effective criteria to guide proposed activities, particularly in terms of:
- the processes and mechanisms to better reach the indicators proposed to measure the advances established in elements 1, 2 and 3 of Resolution WHA61.21; and
- how to promote interchange and collaboration within and among the countries and sub-regions of the Americas
3) Identify the basic measures that PAHO and the TDR can take to support Member States so that they promote and strengthen research and development of health products, specifically, activities to discover and develop new products and procedures that address pertinent health needs.
Documents (Spanish version only)
List of participants
Background of meeting
Research and development of innovative products in the Americas: a case for empowerment. Janis K. Lazdins-Helds
Compendium of WHO and PAHO mandates and resolutions on public health, innovation and intellectual property.
PDF (579.33 kB) (Spanish)
First Latin American Conference on Science, Technology, and Innovation. Conclusions and recommendations (2008)
PDF (1.48 MB) (Spanish)
Presentations during conference
Technological innovation and essential medicines. By José Luis Di Fabio. Manager of the Area of Technology, Health Care, and Research, PAHO.
Presentation by Dr. Janis K. Lazdins-Helds, Special Program of Research and Training for Tropical Diseases (TDR), Innovation for International Public Health Challenges and Opportunities for an International Organization.
Working group presentations on elements I, II and III.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 December 2010 04:54|
Lines of Action and Information Resources related to Access and Innovation