Global South-South Development Expo 2009
Global Health challenges and responses of the South in a time of crisis - Innovative Partnerships in the South, by the South and for the South
16 December 2009
2:00 – 3:00pm Registration
2nd Floor, Pan American Health Organization
3:00 – 3:30pm Welcome Remarks
Dr. Mirta Roses Periago
Director, Pan American Health Organization
“Fostering Cooperation in Health among Developing Countries”
Mr. Yiping Zhou
Director, UNDP Special Unit for South-South Cooperation
“Unleashing Southern Capacities for Development”
Video: Innovative Partnerships in the South, by the South and for the South
3:30 – 3:50pm Keynote Speech
Dr. Anarfi Asamoa-Baah
Deputy Director General, World Health Organization
“Protecting Global Health in a Time of Crisis”
4:00 – 5:45pm Panel “Responses of the South in a Time of Crisis: Innovative Partnerships for Solutions in Global Health”.
Moderator: Mr. André Picard, Public Health reporter at The Globe and Mail, Canada
Presentation of Solutions:
1. The Community-Directed Treatment (ComDT) for the Elimination of Neglected Diseases.
Presenter: Oladele Akogun, Coordinator, Centre for Research and Development,
Federal University of Technology, Nigeria.
2. The Brazilian Network of Human Milk Banks: A Model for South-South Cooperation.
Presenter: João Aprígio Guerra de Almeida, Coordinator, The Brazilian Network of Human Milk Banks, Fernandes Figueira Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Brazil.
3. The Prevention of HIV/AIDS among Migrant Workers in Thailand (PHAMIT Project).
Presenter: Thongphit Pinyosinwat, Chief Program Officer, Raks Thai Foundation, Thailand.
4. EpiSurveyor: Applying the Lessons of Gmail to Create a Free System for Real-time Phone-based Health Data Collection, Analysis, and Use.
Presenter: Joel Selanikio, Director, DataDyne Group.
5. Southern Solutions and Cooperation for Accessing Health Information.
Presenter: Abel Packer, Director, Latin-American and Caribbean Center on Health Sciences Information (PAHO/WHO).se.
Presenter: Dr. Joel Selanikio, Director, DataDyne Group
Open Discussion and Summary
5:45 – 6:00pm Announcement: Winning Global Health Solutions of the Global South-South Development Expo 2009
6:00 – 8:00pm Reception