The Pan American Health Organization over the years has recognized Public Health Heroes for their invaluable contributions to public health in the Americas. They come from a broad spectrum of backgrounds and fields of work and share one common goal: improving the health and well-being of the peoples of the Western Hemisphere. These Public Health Heroes represent a select few among the countless heroes behind the ongoing struggles and remarkable achievements in the quest for a healthy Americas.
These Public Health Heroes represent a select group among the innumerable anonymous heroes who toil every day with one goal only in mind: to achieve health for all in the Americas.
The Public Health Heroes of the Americas are:
- Dr. David Tejada de Rivero
- Dr. José Roberto Ferreira of Brazil
- Dr. Carlos Canseco of Mexico
- Dr. Jacinto Convit of Venezuela
- Dr. Mirna Cunningham of Nicaragua
- Dr. Donald A. Henderson of the United States
- Dr. Jose Jordan of Cuba
- The Honorable Marc Lalonde of Canada
- Dr. Edgar Mohs of Costa Rica
- Dr. Elsa Moreno of Argentina
- Dr. Zilda Arns Neumann of Brazil
- Dr. Ruth Puffer of the United States
- Sir Kenneth Livingston Standard of Barbados