Foreword by Dr. Keith Carter, PAHO Regional Advisor on Malaria
There have been many challenges in the development and consolidation of this Regional Strategic Plan for Malaria which focuses on the 2006–2010 period. It takes into account the need for continuous efforts to achieve specific goals as well as the reduction of the burden on human health and the negative social and economic effects of the disease among the most affected population groups. Nevertheless, there is consensus that
Strategies must be of optimum relevance to the realities of the malaria situation in the region and among its member territories.
Strategies must be supported by the best available evidence and should be in the best possible alignment with and responsiveness to the specificities in the different levels of work—global, regional, subregional, and national.
Strategies must be designed according to objectives and expected results that are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.
Despite numerous impediments, the task is successfully completed through the selfless contribution of various partners and colleagues in the region. This document provides a synthesis of what PAHO commits itself to focus on in the next five years and beyond; and a framework for countries and other stakeholders to consider in their work to combat malaria in the endemic areas as well as to prevent its reintroduction in countries where it has been eliminated.
As valuable as it may seem, it must be emphasized that only one part of the task is accomplished. Of equal importance, if not more, is the second part of the challenge—the need for an unwavering resolve to implement the plan.
The hemisphere can only become malaria-free when persons at risk have access to malaria diagnosis, appropriate treatment, interventions to prevent malaria transmission, and sufficient health service coverage. These conditions can only be achieved if strategies are coupled with concrete actions and an enduring commitment.
Together with all PAHO member states, we will scale up in our mission to combat and triumph over malaria.
Graphs and Tables
Figure 1: Population of the Americas according to Level of Transmission Risk, 1998–2004 (in thousands)
Figure 2: Malaria in the Americas by Parasite Species, 1959–2004: Number of Cases
Figure 3: Malaria Morbidity in the Americas, 1998–2004: Number of Positive Blood Slides
Figure 4: Malaria Mortality in the Americas, 1998–2004: Number of Deaths
Figure 5: Malaria Morbidity in the Americas by Subregion, 1998–2004: Number of Positive Blood Slides
Figure 6: Malaria Mortality in the Americas by Subregion, 1998–2004: Number of Deaths
Figure 7: Americas: Passive vs. Active Case Detection, 1998–2004: (% of Blood Slides Examined)
Figure 8: Antimalarial Drugs Used in the Americas, 1998–2004
Figure 9: Malaria Cases and Expenditure in the Americas, 2000–2004
Figure 10: Malaria Cases and Expenditure per capita at Risk in the Americas, 2000–2004
Table 1: Percent change in number of cases reported, 2000 vs. 2004: By Country
Table 2: Mosquito Vectors of Malaria by Country
Table 3: WHO's Challenges to Health vis-à-vis PAHO's Malaria Plan Programmatic Adjustments
- Malaria rapid diagnostic test performance. Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Round 5 (2013); 2014
- Malaria rapid diagnostic test performance. Summary results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Round 1-5 (2008-2013); 2014
- World Malaria Report; 2013
- Malaria control in humanitarian emergencies – An inter-agency field handbook; 2013
- Estrategia para la toma de decisiones en el marco del manejo integrado de vectores de malaria; 2013 (Spanish only)
- Management of Severe Malaria; 2012
- World Malaria Report; 2012
- Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test Performance Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Round 4; 2012
- Disease Surveillance for Malaria Control; 2012
- Disease Surveillance for Malaria Elimination; 2012
- Global Malaria Programme. Information note on recommended selection criteria for procurement of malaria rapid diagnostc test (RDTs); 2012
- Universal access to malaria diagnostic testing. An operational manual; 2011
- Methods and tecniques for assessing exposure to Natimalarial drugs in clinical field studies; 2011
- Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test Performance – Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Round 3 (2010-2011)
- Desempeño de las pruebas de diagnóstico rápido de la malaria. Resultados de la evaluación realizada po r la OMS de las pruebas de diagnóstico rápido de la malaria: 1a y 2a ronda; 2009 (Spanish only)
- AMI-RAVREDA. Documento de orientación estratégica para la vigilancia y el control de los vectores de la malaria en América Latina y el Caribe; 2011 (Spanish only)
- AMI-RAVREDA. Documento estratégico para la gestión del suministro y garantía de la calidad de los medicamentos e insumos para el diagnóstico y tratamiento de la malaria; 2011 (Spanish only)
- AMI-RAVREDA. Documento estratégico para el monitoreo de la eficacia y resistencia de los antimaláricos en el contexto actual epidemiológico, 2011 (Spanish only)
- Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test Performance. Summary Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Rounds 1 and 2 (2008-2009)
- Parasitological confirmational of malaria diagnosis. Report of a WHO technical consultation. Geneva; 2009
- Information note on interim selection criteria procurement - malaria rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs);2010
- Report on the Situation of Malaria in the Americas; 2008
- Transporting, Storing, and Handling Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests in Health Clinics; 2009
- Transporting, Storing, and Handling Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests at Central and Peripheral; 2009
- Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test Performance. Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: Round 2; 2009
- Specifications prepackaging antimalarial medicine; 2005
- Targeted Subsidy Strategies for National Scaling Up of Insecticide-Treated Netting Programmes—Principles and Approaches; 2005
- The use of Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test; 2004
- Assessment of the safety of artemisinin compounds in pregnancy; 2003
- Malaria Rapid Diagnosis. Making it work; 2003
- Community Involvement in Rolling Back Malaria; 2002
- Antimalarial Drug Combination Therapy. Report of a WHO Technical Consultation; 2001
- Drains & You: A Manual for Drainage Maintenance Workers; 2000