Regional Meeting of Cancer Registries and Cancer Program Managers, hosted by PAHO and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the Ministry of Health of Brazil, National Cancer Institute (Instituto Nacional de Câncer / INCA), followed by the Train the Trainers Course on Cancer Registration and Data Quality Control in Population-Based Cancer Registries.
(Brasilia, Brazil, 13–16 October 2009)
Purpose: To review progress, identify challenges and opportunities for improving information on cancer in the Region and to plan future collaborative activities.
For meeting and course objectives, expected results, and documentation (agendas, list of participants, statement, mid-term plan, report, evaluation, and all presentations), see below.
- To learn about advances in PAHO-IARC agreement for collaboration and joint mid-term plan.
- To discuss progress to date, challenges and opportunities for implementing the PAHO-IARC collaboration and mid-term plan.
- To showcase available tools and resources to can support countries in their cancer registration and using information for cancer programs.
- To disseminate best practice and results of successful experiences on cancer registration across the Americas.
- To foster the current PAHO-IARC partnership and seek potential stakeholders in support of cancer register activities on the national, subregional and Regional levels.
Expected Results of Meeting
- Assessment of progress, challenges and opportunities in regard to the information on cancer at Regional, subregional and national levels.
- Better understanding of the needs for cancer registry improvement in the Region, and the resources available within PAHO and IARC to address these needs.
- Identification of strategies, resources, training, and other opportunities to assist countries to improve information on cancer, especially in those areas with delayed progress.
- Deepened understanding and commitment among PAHO, IARC and countries and partners towards improving cancer information and implementation of mid-term plans.
Course Objective: Train professionals occupying management-level positions in cancer registries, with a minimum of five years experience, to train others; train the trainers and establish a Regional group with expertise in Latin America and the Caribbean to support the cancer registries of the Regions in producing data on cancer incidence, in collaboration with IARC and PAHO.
- Meeting Agenda
- List of Participants
- Brasilia Statement on Improving Cancer Information in Latin America and the Caribbean (14 October 2009)
- PAHO-IARC Collaboration and Mid-Term Workplan: Progress to Date (October 2009)
- Course Overview and Agenda
- Meeting and Course Evaluation
- Meeting and Course Report