Adolescents – young people between the ages of 10 and 19 years – are often thought of as a healthy group. Nevertheless, many adolescents do die prematurely due to accidents, suicide, violence, pregnancy related complications and other illnesses that are either preventable or treatable. Many more suffer chronic ill-health and disability. In addition, many serious diseases in adulthood have their roots in adolescence. For example, tobacco use, sexually transmitted infections including HIV, poor eating and exercise habits, lead to illness or premature death later in life.
Reference WHO: http://www.who.int/topics/adolescent_health/en/index.html
Press Releases: Adolescent Health
OPS presenta publicación sobre la promoción de conductas saludables entre la población adolescente La Organización Panamericana de la Salud (OPS) ha lanzado una nueva publicación científico-técnica dedicada a la promoción de conductas saludables entre la población adolescente de las Américas.(31/Jul/2008)
Women and Children Must be Shielded Against Impact of Global Food Price Increase. The regional heads of ECLAC, PAHO, UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF, and WFP issued an urgent call on the governments of Latin America and the Caribbean to take timely action to ensure the protection of children and pregnant and lactating women against soaring food prices.(30/May/2008)
CARMEN School International Course: Social Marketing and Preventing Child Obesity (Santiago, Chile, 26–27 August 2008) The objectives of this course are to Identify the principles that characterize social marketing and planning programs using the marketing mix (the "4 Ps": Product, Price, Place/ distribution, and Promotion) (30/May/2008)
Publications: Adolescent Health
PAHO/WHO Strategic Plans: Adolescent Health
Meeting Reports: Adolescent Health
- Agencies Join Forces to Inform and Educate on Avian Flu and Human Pandemic Risks in the Americas. PAHO HQ. July 24, 2006.
- Ist. Meeting on the Practical Approach to Lung Health (PAL) Strategy San José, Costa Rica, 4–6 December 2006
- Workshop on the Epidemiology and Surveillance of Influenza and Other Respiratory Diseases (Decatur, Georgia, USA, 9–13 May 2005)
- Third Joint Meeting of the Networks for Surveillance of Emerging Infectious Diseases
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 26-28 February 2004
- EID Weekly Updates: Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Diseases, Region of the Americas, Vol. 2, No. 14—8 April 2004