146th Session of the Executive Committee of PAHO: Reviewing relevant public health issues for the Americas Region
PAHO is discussing more than 15 important health strategies, plans and resolutions to improve public health in the Region. Public health strategies in which PAHO plays a leadership role along with the countries' Ministries of Health to improve the health of the people of the Americas.
PAHO is discussing more than 15 important health strategies, plans and resolutions to improve public health in the Region
[Main topics: Substance Abuse Reduction, Chagas Disease, Mother-to-child Transmission of HIV and Congenital Syphilis, Health Worker Competency Development in Primary Care-based Health Systems, Health, Human Security and Well-being, Reduction of Chronic Malnutrition, Strengthening Immunization Programs, Safe Hospitals and Health and Human Rights among others important technical, administrative and financial matters aiming to strength the Organization performance.]
Washington, D.C. PAHO HQ.
June 21-25, 2010.
The 146th Session of the Executive Committee of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) is meeting this week at the Organization’s headquarters.
During this period, the Officers of the Executive Committee are comprised of Mexico (President), Haiti (Vice-President), and Suriname (Rapporteur). Member States currently members of the Executive Committee participating are Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Guatemala, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Venezuela. Other PAHO Member States attending the meeting include Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Grenada, Netherlands and the United States of America. Observer States present are Spain and Portugal.
On Monday, PAHO’s Director, Dr. Mirta Roses, welcomed the members of the Executive Committee assembled for the week and invited them to review and work together in the strategies and resolutions to be discussed, with the objective of collecting the recommendations and necessary modifications to be considered and included in the upcoming celebration of the 50th Directing Council, 62nd Session of the Regional Committee of WHO for the Americas, next September, event that renews and establishes the commitments, priorities, and policies on Pan American Public Health.
A wide range of representatives of different organizations are attending this week’s important meeting of the PAHO Governing Bodies:
- Intergovernmental organizations include the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture and Representatives of the Organization of American States.
- Representatives of nongovernmental organizations include the Latin American Confederation of Clinical Biochemistry and the US Pharmacopeia.
- United Nations Economic Commission for the Latin American and the Caribbean from the United Nations and Specialized Agencies.
- WHO Assistant Director-General / General Management.
The Director of PAHO and Secretary ex officio of the Committee, Dr. Mirta Roses Periago, is co-chairing the important meeting of the PAHO Governing Bodies with Mexico as President of the Executive Committee for the current period, accompanied by PAHO Members of the Executive Management: Dr. Jon Andrus, PAHO Deputy Director; Dr. Socorro Gross, PAHO Assistant’s Director; Mr. Guillermo Birminghan, PAHO Director of Administration; and PAHO’s Legal Counsel Dr. Heidi Jiménez.
Main Health Topics
More than 15 relevant public health strategies, plans and resolutions for the Region are under discussion. Public health strategies in which PAHO plays a leadership role along with the countries' Ministries of Health to improve the health of the people of the Americas:
- Strategy for Substance Abuse Reduction
- Strategy and Plan of Action for Chagas Disease Prevention, Control and Care
- Strategy and Plan of Action for the Elimination of Mother-to-child Transmission of HIV and Congenital Syphilis
- Health Worker Competency Development in Primary Care-based Health Systems
- Health, Human Security and Well-being
- Strategy and Plan of Action for the Reduction of Chronic Malnutrition
- Strengthening Immunization Programs
- Plan of Action on Safe Hospitals
- Health and Human Rights
- Review of the Pan American Centers
- Status of Projects Funded from the PAHO Holding Account
- Contract Reform in PAHO
Administrative and Financial Projects
The session opened with discussion of administrative matters of significance to the Organization: the Financial Report of the Director and Report of the External Auditor for 2008-2009, the Program and Budget 2008-2009 End-of-biennium Assessment/ Interim PAHO Strategic Plan 2008-2012 Progress Report; and the Report of the Subcommittee on Program, Budget, and Administration among others.
The Executive Committee is composed of nine Member States of the Organization, elected by the Conference or the Council for overlapping periods of three years. The Committee, which meets twice a year, acts as a working party of the Conference or Council. Special meetings are convened by the Director of the Bureau either on his/her own initiative or upon request of at least three Member States. The Committee has an auxiliary advisory body, the Subcommittee on Program, Budget, and Administration.
More information about the sessions, strategies, resolutions and main documents:
- 146th Session of the Executive Committee
- 146.a sesión del Comité Ejecutivo
- 146a sessão do comitê executive
- 146e session du Comité exécutif
PAHO Director’s Presentation
Briefing session on PAHO’s Executive Committee Meeting to the Ambassadors to the Organization of American States and other PAHO Members States, Friday, 18 June 2010.