Here you will find information like press releases and reports, focal points, related sites, guidelines, publications and newsletters about Disaster and Humanitarian Assistance in PAHO.
Press Releases: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
After Four Major Storms, Caribbean Takes Stock of Impact. Cuba suffered three hurricanes in nine days, and mobilized the evacuation of more than 20% of its population. Grand Turk Island in the Turks and Caicos is completely devastated with more than 90% of its buildings damaged or completely destroyed. In Haiti, nine of its ten Departments were flooded. In all affected countries, the cumulative death toll from the 2008 storms stands at 350; more than 2 million people have been affected.
Agencies Take Part in Simulation of Nuclear Accident. The World Health Organization and Pan American Health Organization took part in a test of radiation emergency plans through a simulated accident at the Laguna Verde Nuclear power plant, Mexico, 9-10 July 2008. The exercise is coordinated by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and carried out in cooperation with 74 IAEA Member States and nine international organizations in order to test national and international preparedness to respond to a nuclear or radiological emergency.
Fifth WHO Public Health Pre-Deployment Course. Applications are being received for the 5th WHO Public Health Pre-Deployment Course to be held in Ontario, Canada from 16-29 November 2008. The course prepares public health professionals with profiles that suit health emergency competencies defined by WHO and the Inter-Agency Standing Committee Global Health Cluster, and who can commit themselves to be deployed within 24-48 hours to an emergency for a duration of up to three months. The deadline for applications is 31 August 2008.
PAHO/WHO Strategic Plans: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
Reports: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
Focal Points: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
Around the Americas
Related Sites: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
Collaborating Centers: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
- Universidad de Chile Santiago, Chile
- Companhia de Tecnologia de Saneamento Ambiental (CETESB) São Paulo, Brazil
Guidelines: Disaster & Humanitarian Assistance
- When Disaster Strikes
- Humanitarian Assistance in Disaster Situations
- Management of Dead Bodies After Disasters: A Field Manual for First Responders
- Experiencias repicables en gestión sanitaria local ante desastres en los países andinos
- ¿Su hospital es seguro? Preguntas y respuestas para el personal de salud
- Guía para la vigilancia y control de la cantidad del agua en situaciones de emergencia y desastre
- Guía Práctica de Salud Mental en situaciones de Desastre
- Vector Control in Disaster situations
- Inter-Agency Contingency Planning Guidelines for Humanitarian Assistance
- Challenges and Suggestions for Enhancing Inter-Agency Contingency Planning
Publications: Disasters & Humanitarian Assistance
Newsletter & Periodicals: Disasters & Humanitarian Assistance
Scientific Production: Disasters & Humanitarian Assistance
- An integrated program to train local health care providers to meet post-disaster mental health needs Pan American Journal of Public Health
- Psychological and psychopathological reactions in Honduras following Hurricane Mitch: implications for service planning Pan American Journal of Public Health
- Dispelling disaster myths about dead bodies and disease: the role of scientific evidence and the media Pan American Journal of Public Health
- Mental Health and Nutritional Status Among the Adult Serbian Minority in Kosovo JAMA