The information contained within this update is obtained from data provided by Ministries of Health of Member States and National Influenza Centers through reports sent to Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) or updates on their web pages.
To download the full report in PDF click here .
- In North America, acute respiratory disease activity remained low.
- The Caribbean countries reported decreasing or unchanged trends in acute respiratory disease.
- In Central America, Panama reported an unchanged trend in acute respiratory disease.
- In South America, Bolivia, Colombia, and Venezuela reported increasing trends of acute respiratory disease.
- From EW 1 to 23, 2010, El Salvador reported a predominance of influenza type B, while Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico, and Panama reported predominately influenza type A. Paraguay reported a predominance of respiratory syncytial virus.
- 23 new confirmed deaths in 3 countries were reported; in total there have been 8,450 cumulative confirmed deaths in 28 countries of the Region.