information contained within this update is obtained from data provided
by Ministries of Health of Member States and National Influenza Centers
through reports sent to Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) or
updates on their web pages.
To download the full report in PDF Click here.
- In North America, acute respiratory disease activity continued to decrease and is lower than expected in some areas
- In the Caribbean, all countries reported unchanged and decreasing trends in acute respiratory disease
- Central American countries reported decreasing trends in acute respiratory disease
- South American countries reported mostly decreasing or unchanged trends of acute respiratory disease, except Peru, which reported an increasing trend
- A median of 100% of subtyped influenza A viruses were pandemic (H1N1) 2009
- 136 new confirmed deaths in 7 countries were reported; in total there have been 7,016 cumulative confirmed deaths
Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 07:21