- There have been 706 cases globally so far in 2010 (635 type 1 and 71 type 3), compared with 1 126 cases at this time last year (387 type 1, 735 type 3, four type 1/3 mixtures). 17 countries have reported cases in 2010, compared with 21 at this time last year.
- As of 28 September, 151 districts have been infected with wild poliovirus in 2010 – an almost 65% reduction compared with the 408 districts infected at the same time last year.
- In September, Sierra Leone and Liberia came off the active outbreak list (no cases in the past six months) while Russia and Turkmenistan were added to the list.
- There has been a 90% decrease in the number of wild poliovirus type 3 (WPV3) cases globally in 2010
(71 cases in 2010 compared with 735 at this time last year).
- In Africa in the past four months, only Nigeria, Angola and the Democratic Republic of the Congo have reported cases.
Source: Adapted from the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, developed jointly with Rotary International, CDC and UNICEF. For more information visit: www.polioeradication.org.