- The outbreak of diarrheal diseases reported from the departments of Artibonite and Centre has been confirmed as due to cholera by MSPP (Ministère de la santé publique et de la population) and CDC.
- 1,526 cases and 138 deaths have been reported by MSPP since Tuesday (54 in institutions, and 84 in community). These are preliminary figures and are expected to change rapidly.
- Reported cases are mainly coming from communities along the Artibonite river basin that runs through the mentioned departments. The cases have come primarily from areas where there was no direct damage from the earthquake, more information on these vulnerable communities is being sought.
- Acute diarrhoeal diseases in complex emergencies: critical steps [English] [French]
- First steps for managing an outbreak of acute diarrhoea [English] [French]
- Cholera fact sheet [English]
- Cholera outbreak: assessing the outbreak response and improving preparedness [English]
Last Updated on Sunday, 24 October 2010 12:06