About the PAHO Expert Group
Dietary Salt Reduction
Members: Ricardo Uauy (leader), Simon Barquera, Tito Pizarro, Mary L'Abbé, Marcelo Tavella, Darwin Labarthe, Sonia Angell.
The Industry team is a working subgroup of the PAHO/WHO Regional Expert Group on Cardiovascular disease prevention through dietary salt reduction that serves as the primary source for evidence-based policies. The subgroup was established during the launch of the Initiative on 9-12 September 2009, at the PAHO HQ, Washington, D.C.
The following 6-, 10- and 24-months markers were set by the group to be accomplished over the 2 years:
At 6 Months:
Identify stakeholders as potential signatories to the policy statement and approach for endorsement
Begin coalition building e.g. link to Partners’ Forum through PAHO
Encourage participation of governments in Codex related to sodium.
Prepare a position on harmonizing the sodium content of globally available food products referring to best in class
At 10 Months:
Develop coalitions, networks, partnerships
Gather regulations, guidelines, and standards around advertising of sodium/salt
At 24 Months:
- Develop a legislative or regulatory framework
- Provide information on salt substitutes and taste substitution and enhancement
- Formulate the position on the safety of salt as a food additive and the safety of high salt content foods
- Monitor for unintended consequences of lowering sodium in foods (e.g. raised levels of sugars)
Has the latest published material by the sub group:
· protocol for population level sodium determination on 24 hour urine collection,
· position on methods and statistical consideration
Databases and targets
Has links to databases that include sodium/salt content of food products to assist countries to engage in negotiations with the respective food industries and facilitate (where possible) food product comparison. Read more…