Vaccination Week in the Americas (VWA) is an extraordinary effort led by the
countries and territories of the Region to advance equity and access to vaccination.
VWA activities strengthen the national immunization programs in the Americas and work to identify
and vaccinate isolated and disadvantaged populations with little access to regular health services,
such as those populations living in urban fringes, rural and border areas and in indigenous communities.
Since its inception in 2003, more than 350 million individuals of all ages have been vaccinated during
activities conducted under the framework of VWA. The initiative also provides a platform to raise
population awareness regarding the importance of immunization and to keep the topic on the forefront of
political agendas in the Region. For more information on the history and background of VWA,
see the About VWA link to the left.
Vaccination Week in the Americas 2011 - FINAL REPORT
The ninth annual VWA took place from 23-30 April 2011 under the theme "Vaccinate your Family, Protect your Community." This year, the initiative was celebrated by 43 countries and territories, with a regional goal to vaccinate more than 41 million individuals through a variety of campaigns. For summarized country plans and other technical documents, see the Technical Information link. Promotional materials to support national activities are available for download under the Video and Graphic Material links, while workbooks to aid in national planning are located under Planning Materials.
In 2011, VWA was carried out simultaneously with the National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW) in the United States and the National Immunization Awareness Week in Canada (NIAW). Additionally, four other Regions of the World Health Organization (WHO) simultaneously celebrated their own sister initiatives. These included the 6th European Immunization Week (EIW), the 2nd Vaccination Week in the Eastern Mediterranean (VWEM) and the first ever vaccination week initiatives in the African and Western Pacific Regions, putting us well on our way towards celebrating a Global Vaccination Week in the near future!
For information on all of these global efforts please see External Links.
PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS: the 10th anniversary of VWA will be celebrated from 21-28 April 2012!
News About Vaccination Week in the Americas 2011 -
- WHO: About 180 countries and territories celebrate Immunization Week
- PAHO to Launch Vaccination Week on Peru-Bolivia Border
- PAHO Launches Vaccination Week on Peru-Bolivia Border
- Brazil Joins 44 Other Countries and Territories for Vaccination Week in the Americas, April 23 to 30
- Panama Launches Vaccination Week in the Americas 2011
- April 26: Regional Launch of Vaccination Week in the Americas on the Bolivia-Peru Border
- CDC, U.S.-Mexico Border Health Comission, PAHO/WHO Join Ten Border States in Vaccination Effort to Reach Millions
- In Guatemala, PAHO Assistant Director Launches Vaccination Week in the Americas
- Launching of Vaccination Week in Suriname 2011
- PAHO launches Vaccination Week of the Americas on Peru-Bolivia Border
- Launch of Vaccination Week in Brazil is Highlighted by U.N. Radio
- Vaccination in the Highlands of Bolivia and Peru
- Vaccination Week Kicks Off in Guatemala
- NIIW/VWA U.S.-Mexico Border Main Inaugural Event
- 18th Annual Arizona Immunization Conference
- NIIW/VWA Binational Immunization Service Workshop
- NIIW/VWA Understanding the Mexico Vaccination Schedule Workshop and Health Fair
- NIIW/VWA Binational Immunization Comparison Tool Workshop
- Ecuador, Colombia Hold Joint Launch for 9th Vaccination Week in the Americas