mhGAP Intervention Guide for mental, neurological and substance use disorders in non-specialized health settings
This publication is a technical tool developed by WHO to assist in implementation of mhGAP. The Intervention Guide has been developed through a systematic review of evidence followed by an international consultative and participatory process.
The mhGAP Intervention Guide (mhGAP-IG) presents integrated management of priority conditions using protocols for clinical decision-making. The priority conditions included are: depression, psychosis, bipolar disorders, epilepsy, developmental and behavioural disorders in children and adolescents, dementia, alcohol use disorders, drug use disorders, self-harm/suicide and other significant emotional or medically unexplained complaints.
The mhGAP-IG is a model guide and has been developed for use by health-care providers working in non-specialized health-care settings after adaptation for national and local needs.
The e-version of the mhGAP-IG is now available.
You could navigate online using the following link: www.paho.org/mhgap/en Or
You could download the folder in a CD or in your computer.
2. Extract the files and save the folder somewhere in the computer
3. Click index.bat
4. You can make a short cut of the index.bat and place it on your desktop.
5. Ready to use
Documents at the Regional Level
- Treatment Gap in the Americas
- Supporting the Implementation of Mental Health Policies in the Americas: A Human Rights Law-Based Approach
- Promoting Health, Mental Health. In: Pan American Health Organization. Health In the Americas: 2007. Washington, D.C.: PAHO, 2007. Vol 1-Regional. (PAHO, PAHO Scientific and Technical Publication No. 622) p. 134.135.
- PAHO and the Reformulation of Mental Health in the Americas
- Innovative mental health programs in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Framework for the Implementation of the Regional Strategy on Mental Health,
Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders
- Report on Epilepsy in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Neurological Disorders: Public Health Challenges, WHO, 2006
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Humanitarian Emergencies: What Should Humanitarian Health Actors Know?, IASC, 2010
- IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings, IASC, 2007
- Dementia: a public health priority, 2012
- Culture et santé mentale en Haïti :une revue de littérature
Mental Health and Primary Health Care
- Pharmacological Treatment of Mental Disorders in Primary Health Care, WHO, 2009
- New joint WHO/Wonca report 'Integrating mental health into primary care - a global perspective', WHO/Wonca, 2008
- mhGAP module Assessment Management of Conditions Specifically Related to Stress, WHO, 2013
- mhGAP Mental Health Action Programme, WHO 2008
- mhGAP Intervention Guide for mental, neurological and substance use disorders in non-specialized health settings. WHO, 2010
- mhGAP Flyer - mental health Gap Action Programme (mhGAP)
mhGAP Plyer. mental health Gap Action Programme (mhGAP)
Sólo en inglés
Mental Health and Emergencies
- Iniciativa para el Control de los Trastornos Afectivos; Conozca la Depresión y Enfréntela. Vicente, B. OPS, 1999
(Available only in Spanish)