PAHO’s Technical Advisory Group on Vaccine-preventable Diseases (TAG) - Polio recommendations, July 2011
• Countries of the Region of the Americas should continue to use the OPV vaccine until global polio eradication is achieved.
• Countries of the Americas using only IPV in their immunization schedules should only do so where they comply fully with the minimum requirements recommended by WHO and PAHO, as described above.
• Countries considering the use of IPV before the global eradication of poliomyelitis should use sequential schedules that include OPV and/or conduct periodic OPV campaigns.
• Countries that do not achieve polio vaccine coverage ≥95% in every municipality must conduct annual OPV immunization campaigns for children aged <5 years, regardless of their vaccination status.
• Countries must maintain certification standards of AFP surveillance (in compliance with surveillance indicators).