Frequently Asked Questions on the Election Process of the Director of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau
When does the election process start?
March 1, 2012.
What happens on that day?
The President of the PAHO Executive Committee notifies PAHO Member States, Participating States, and Associate Members and invites them to submit nominations for the position of Director.
What is the deadline for nominations?
May 1, 2012.
Who may submit nominations?
Each Member State, Participating State, or Associate Member may nominate one candidate, who must be a national from a country within the Region.
When and where will the elections take place?
Between 17-21 September 2012, at PAHO Headquarters, in Washington, D.C., during the 28th Pan American Sanitary Conference.
Who votes in the election?
Delegates of all PAHO Member States and Participating States.
What are the requirements for the candidates?
1. a strong technical and public health background, extensive experience in international health, and an understanding of the inter-American and United Nations systems;
2. a proven history and evidence of public health leadership, and management skills appropriate for a complex health-related organization;
3. sensitivity to and respect for the cultural, social, political, and economic diversity within and among the countries in the Region;
4. knowledge of the regional health situation and of the wide range of health systems in the Region;
5. a strong commitment to the work of PAHO;
6. good physical condition, as required of all staff members of the Organization; and
7. fluency in one of the official languages and a working knowledge of one of the others.
Who have served as directors of the Sanitary Bureau?
The current director is Dr. Mirta Roses Periago, who began her term on 1 February 2003. Previous directors include Dr. George Alleyne (1995-2003), Dr. Carlyle Guerra de Macedo (1983-1995), Dr. Héctor Acuña (1975-1983), Dr. Abraham Horwitz (1959-1975), Dr. Fred Soper (1947-1959), Dr. Hugh Cumming (1920-1947), Dr. Rupert Blue (1912-1920), and Dr. Walter Wyman (1902-1911).
Where can I find more information on the election process?
Articule 21, paragraph A of the PAHO Constitution; Part IX, Rule 56 of the Rules of Procedure of the Conference and Rules Governing the Election Process for the Position of Director of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau, as approved by Resolution CD47.R4, available in English, French , Portuguese and Spanish .