Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health
Latest issue: Vol. 4, No. 7–8, 2010
- Message from the editor
- Regional Advances
o Andean countries assess progress, set priorities for CNCD prevention and control in 2010-11
o Advances in cervical cancer prevention in Latin America 4-5
o Second subregional meeting of the Partners Forum on chronic diseases
o PAHO and global leaders discuss how to improve breast health in low- and middle-income countries.
o International community on HPV and cervical cancer discuss current scientific advances.
o Honduras: Initiative to synergize health sector activities in the prevention and control of chronic diseases
o Panama launches palliative care program
o International partners endorse new Caribbean Public Health Agency
o Obesity rise linked to disability increase among elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean
o Canada presents its new sodium reduction strategy
More information, subscription, rules for contributors, archives, etc. appear below.
The newsletter began in January 2007. The purpose of this monthly newsletter is to promote the Regional Strategy on an Integrated Approach to the Prevention and Control of Chronic Diseases; to share developments on all aspects of the strategy and its four lines of action as well as news on program implementation.
Scope of the Newsletter
The newsletter can include items of interest in the following areas related to chronic disease surveillance, prevention, and management, including their risk factors:
- National, subregional or regional events or developments in chronic disease and risk-factor prevention and control.
- Country activities (please cite source and/or links if it is from a national agency; also, country news must be authorized by the corresponding Ministry or NGO):
- New surveillance findings, analyses, studies, trends.
- Prevention initiatives and campaigns.
- Policy developments in health or broader healthy public policies of relevance.
- Launch of strategies or plans.
- New Partnerships or grants.
- Major workshops or training events.
- New information resources or links.
- April 2010: Spotlight: Progress in Central America & Dominican Republic; Technical Committee, Chronic Diseases & Cancer; Partners Forum Concept Introduced in Panama; Panama to Host Regional Meeting with PAHO & PATH for Cervical Cancer Managers; CIIPEC—INCAP’s Comprehensive Center for Chronic Diseases in Mesoamerica & Dominican Republic: World Physical Activity Day; Physical Activity & Public Health Courses; Nutritional & Population Sciences Doctoral Program; Workshop: Population Health & Nutrition Program Evaluation; Workshop on Epidemiological Research; Researchers Training Program; CIIPEC Presents at New Delhi Meeting; Chronic Diseases No Longer Diseases of the Rich: Myths and Facts about Chronic Disease; Support a UNGASS on CNCDs; New IOM Reports; PAHEF Calls for Nominations, New Award
- March 2010: Special Issue: Update on the Partners’ Forum: Developing the Partners’ Forum Infrastructure; Building Internal and External Capacity to Partner; Looking Ahead of the Partners’ Forum; Partners’ Forum Committment to Action; Healthy Workplaces Event on 22 April
- January-February 2010: Solidarity with Earthquake Victims in Haiti and Chile; Message from the Editor; Regional Progress: Cancer: Cervical Cancer Prevention Featured at Regional Symposium on New Vaccines; PAHO Partnership Helps Establish New Center in Paraguay for Treating Women with Cervical Pre-Cancer; WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Cancer Control, Nancy Brinker, Visits PAHO; Progress in the Countries: WHO Report Shows Progress on Tobacco Control in the Americas; CARICOM UN Briefing on CNCDs; New Book: Mental Health in the Community (2nd ed.).
- September-December 2009: Spotlight: PAHO Launches Partners' Forum to Promote Healthy Lifestyles, Reduce Chronic Disease; US-Mexico Border Forum; Announcements & Events: New PAHO CNCD Websites on CVDs and Salt Reduction, CNCD Surveillance; CARMEN Meeting Documentation Online; World Diabetes Day; World Heart Day; Course on Evidence-Based Public Health; News Roundup.
- August 2009: Spotlight: Special Events: Caribbean Countries Celebrate Caribbean Wellness Day 2009; AMNET Surveillance Meeting; 2009 CARMEN Biennial Meeting; Course on Evidence-Based Public Health; Announcements; PAHO CNCD Homepage in Spanish; New Bilingual CARMEN Page; News Roundup.
- July 2009: Regional & Global Action: UICC, IDF, WHF Call for Putting Chronic Diseases on the UN MDGs Agenda. Follow-Up: Course on Evidence-Based Chronic Illness Care. Spotlight: Cancer: 2009 International Cancer Control Congress (ICCC). Overview of Comprehensive Cervical Cancer Prevention in the Americas. Progress in the Countries. Chronic Disease in Emerging Countries: Report from Capitol Hill Upcoming Events: Caribbean Wellness Day. AMNET Meeting on CNCD Surveillance. Information Resources: New Book on Alcohol and Partner Violence. News Roundup
- June 2009: Regional Action: Partners’ Forum: PAHO, PAHEF, Global Business Forum Meet; Course on Evidence-Based Chronic Illness Care; Progress in the Countries: CARIDIAB Caribbean Diabetes Project; VIGITEL-Brazil: RF Surveillance by Phone; National Hispanic Cardiology Leadership Network; Information Resources; New Ciclovías Brochure; New PAHO CNCD Homepage; News RoundupApril 2009: Spotlight on Cancer: HPV Vaccine: Intervention in Adolescents; IARC Study on HPV Testing in Low-Resource Settings; WHO Position Paper on HPV Vaccines Just Released; WHO/PAHO Cryotherapy Guidelines; Call for Abstracts: International Cancer Control Congress; News Roundup.March 2009: Regional Action: Partners' Forum; Progress in the Countries: Suriname: Activities to Fight CNCDs; First Lady of Honduras Speaks out against Obesity; Announcements: International Cancer Control Congress; More on Salt; PAHEF Grants; News Roundup.February 2009: Editorial: 2008 Review, 2009 Priorities; Highlights: Central America, Dominican Republic Take up the CNCD Gauntlet; XXIV RESSCAD Tackles Chronic Disease; CNCDs on the Health Agenda; World Cancer Day 2009; Announcements: Salt Meeting Documentation Online; News Roundup.January 2009: Learning from the Past, Moving towards a Better Future: Cancer: Highlights for 2008, Priorities for 2009; Regional Action: Experts Say Lowering Salt Consumption Should be a Top Public Health Priority; Progress in the Countries: Healthy Caribbean: Bridgetown Declaration; Announcements: Translation of WHO STEPS Stroke Surveillance Manual; New WHO Website on Marketing Foods and Beverages to Children; PAHEF Project Provides Evidence That Alcohol Control Reduces Violence against Women; Did you know? Global School Health Survey; News Roundup.
Las enfermedades crónicas no transmisibles son una prioridad en Paraguay, donde se ha demostrado una alta prevalencia de obesidad, diabetes e hipertensión entre otros en estudios poblacionales.
The director of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO), Dr. Carissa F. Etienne, is in Trinidad and Tobago this week to participate in the inauguration of the new Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), which became operational on 1 January 2013.
To promote the prevention of cardiovascular disease, a multisector consortium convened by the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) this week endorsed a plan to reduce dietary salt consumption in the Americas by half by the year 2020. Currently, average salt consumption in most...
Preventing cervical cancer in Argentina (05/28/2013)
Technical Document: Salt Smart Americas (05/16/2013)
April 7 2013: World Health Day 2013, Hypertension (03/24/2013)
World Salt Awareness Week: “Less salt, please!” (03/11/2013)
PAHO/WHO Webinar invitation - Less Salt, Please! (03/11/2013)
5th International Cancer Control Congress (ICCC5) (02/14/2013)
Derribando mitos sobre el cáncer (02/05/2013)
Cuba – Battling cancer with biotechnology (02/03/2013)
World Cancer Day, 4 February 2013 (02/02/2013)
Five rules to keep your holiday foods safe (12/21/2012)
Diabetes Shows Upward Trend in the Americas (11/14/2012)
World Diabetes Day 2012 - Useful Materials (11/13/2012)
The Check-up: Noncommunicable Diseases (10/17/2012)
Seven days for the Health (In Spanish) (09/28/2012)
Wellness Week photo exhibition presented at the OAS (09/18/2012)
IARC: Diesel Engine Exhaust Carcinogenic (06/13/2012)
Harnessing Multi-Stakeholder Action in the Americas (05/24/2012)
Improving Chronic Illness Care (05/03/2012)
Chronic Care Passport (05/03/2012)
New "Factsheet: Diabetes in the Americas" (04/23/2012)
Healthy Aging & Non-Communicable Diseases (04/12/2012)
World Salt Awareness Week (03/26/2012)
Acelerar el combate del cáncer (In Spanish) (03/12/2012)
World Cancer Day: "Together it is possible" (02/03/2012)
Punto Vida, Bolivia (01/26/2012)
Diabetes: Disease on the Rise in the Americas (11/14/2011)
World Conference on Social Determinants of Health (10/20/2011)
Caribbean Action to Fight NCDs (09/22/2011)
Building a Healthier Future (09/16/2011)
PAHO Video: UNITE in the Fight Against NCDs (09/16/2011)
Washington Post Forum Spotlights NCDs (09/15/2011)
Women and Men Face Different Chronic Disease Risks (02/28/2011)
Salt reduction meeting in Calgary (10/18/2010)
Enfermedades crónicas, el peor asesino (10/18/2010)
Women Are the Focus of World No Tobacco Day 2010 (05/25/2010)
Caribbean Countries Celebrate Healthy Lifestyles (09/01/2009)
Blood "from the heart" is the safest blood (06/12/2009)
:: Chronic Diseases Video List
:: Photo Album
World Health Day 2013 - Hypertension
World Health Day 2013 - Hypertension
Photo Exhibit Wellness Week 2012
World Health Day 2012 - Ageing and health
Wellness Week and UN High-level Meeting on NCDs
- September 20, 2011 - The Beginning of the End of NCDs in the Americas
- September 20, 2011 - Conclusion of UN Summit on NCDs
- September 20, 2011 - Food and Nutrition
- September 20, 2011 - Gender Responsive Approaches to NCDs
- September 19, 2011 - CARICOM Takes Stock
- September 19, 2011 - UN High-level Meeting on NCDs
- September 18, 2011 - Side Event: Physical Activity and NCDs
- September 17, 2011 - From Advocacy to Action: NCD Alliance NGO Briefing
- September 16, 2011 - Launch of New York City Wellness Week
- September 16, 2011 - Biking for free in Central Park (HUMANA)
- September 16, 2011 - Mobile Phones & Social Media in the response to NCDs
Caribbean Wellness Day