Affiliated Independent Event on Viral Hepatitis and HIV Co-Infection in the Program of the International Conference on AIDS
There is strong evidence indicating that HIV infection and viral hepatitis (VH) share routes of transmission, are more predominant among certain groups and populations, and may be present in the same person as a result of concomitant or successive transmission.
Even though there is not enough information about the extension of the problem of HIV-VH co-infection, it is a well-known fact that the evolution and prognosis of each of the conditions when they coexist is worse than it would be expected of each one of them by itself. There is an urgent need to assess the location, extent and trends of the problem and to provide effective and appropriate responses to face it.
During this affiliated independent event a group of international experts will analyze clinical and public health aspects of the HIV/VH co-infection and share lessons learned and good practices that can be immediately applied to face the challenge of these concomitant conditions. Members of the audience will be invited to express their views and to share their experiences, concerns and lessons learned.
This event is jointly organized by the Pan American Health Organization and the Canadian Society for International Health (under the project “The Global Hepatitis C Network in Canada” funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada). The meeting will be held at PAHO Headquarters at 525, 23rd Street NW in Rooms B and C respectively. Admission is free for Conference delegates and general public. Translation into Spanish will be available. Read the Specific Objectives and Preliminary Agenda | Click here for more information.
:: Mandates and Strategies
- A63/18. World Health Assembly. Resolution WHA63.18
- A63/15. World Health Assembly - Viral Hepatitis. Report by the Secretariat
- WHO Descriptive Table. Hepatitis Strategy at a Glance: From WHO Products to Results in Countries
- WHO Presentation - Impact of the Hepatitis Resolution adopted by the World Health Assembly WHA 63.18
- A65/26.G. World Health Assembly. Progress Reports. Report by the Secretariat
- WHO Document - Prevention and Control of the Viral Hepatitis Infection: A Strategy for Global Action, 2011
:: Communication Materials
:: Publications and Technical Documents
Diagnosis and Laboratory
Injecting Drug Users
Policies and Cost Studies
Services and Blood Banks
Workers' Health and Nosocomials Infection Control
:: Hepatitis Video List
Communicable Diseases and Health Analysis Department