Test diagnoses dengue faster using existing flu diagnosis equipment.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has developed a new diagnostic test to detect the presence of dengue virus in people with suspect symptoms of dengue fever or dengue hemorrhagic fever.
The test, called the CDC DENV-1-4 Real Time RT PCR Assay, has been authorized by the Food and Drug Administration for use in the United States and can be performed using equipment and supplies many public health laboratories already use to diagnose influenza. This is the first FDA-approved molecular test for dengue that detects evidence of the virus itself. The new test will help diagnose dengue within the first seven days after symptoms of the illness appear, which is when most people are likely to see a health care professional and the dengue virus is likely to be present in their blood. The test can identify all four dengue virus types.
For more information,click here.
Meeting: The State of the Art for the Prevention and Control of Dengue in the Americas
In May of 2014, the meeting “the State of the Art for the Prevention and Control of Dengue in the Americas” was held in Washington DC, organized by the Department of Communicable Diseases and Health Analysis through the Unit of Neglected, Tropical and Vector Borne Diseases. Select this link to find the final report (English version). Comments and inquires must be address to Dr. Jose Luis San Martin, Regional Advisor on Dengue in the Americas.
:: Communication Materials
:: Multimedia Materials
:: Scientific and Technical Materials
Manuals and Training Materials
Technical and scientific publications
:: Statistical Data and Epidemiology
Annual Cases Reported of Dengue
Current Epidemiological Situation in the Americas
Epidemiological Alerts and Updates
:: Regional Programs and Initiatives: Dengue
- Comunicación para impactar en conducta (COMBI) (In Spanish)
- Aedes Aaegypti: medidas para el control del vector (In Spanish)
- GT-Dengue International Task Force
:: External Parties Material
- Dengue Clinical Case Management Course - non-CME version; 2014
- Dengue Clinical Case Management Course - CME version; 2014
- Review: The History of Dengue Outbreaks in the Americas; 2012
- The Epidemiology of Dengue in the Americas Over the Last Three Decades: A Worrisome Reality; 2010
- Complete treatment of uncertainties in a model for dengue Ro estimation; 2008
- Diagnóstico rápido nos municipios para vigilancia entomológica do aedes aegypti no Brazil: LIRAa; 2005 (Portuguese only)
- Mejores prácticas para la prevención y el control del dengue en las Américas; 2003
:: Dengue Video List
Communicable Diseases and Health Analysis Department