What: A panel discussion in observance of International Men’s Day 2012, “Helping boys and men live longer, happier and healthier lives.” Topics included the health situation of men in Latin America and the Caribbean, and issues surrounding “masculinities” and health.
When: Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:30–10:45 a.m. (EST)
- Virtual: http://www.livestream.com/paho or http://www.paho.org/virtual/egender
Who: Organized by the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO). Speakers will include:
- Dr. Ernest Pate, PAHO/WHO Caribbean Program Coordinator
- Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh, Founder of International Men’s Day
- Dr. Isabel Noguer, PAHO Senior Advisor, Gender, Diversity and Human Rights
- Joseph Vess, Senior Program Officer, Promundo
- Carolina Bascones, Secretary, Executive Committee, PAHO Staff Association
International Men’s Day is an annual international event celebrated on Nov. 19. Inaugurated in Trinidad and Tobago in 1999, the event is celebrated in more than 60 countries in the Americas, Asia, Europe, Africa, and Australia, and by United Nations agencies. PAHO/WHO is observing the event this year for the first time with the goals of promoting analysis and awareness of health issues specific to men and boys, improving gender relations, increasing gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. PAHO views the high levels of mortality and disability affecting men, and their associated costs, as preventable.
- International Men's Day
- twitter pahowho #mensday
- twitter opsoms