What: An expert panel discussion in observance of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and the ”16 days of activism against gender violence” campaign.
When: Monday, 10 December 2012, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (EST)
In person: Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) HQ, Room B
525 23rd St. NW, Washington, DC (Corner 23rd St. & Virginia Ave)
Virtually: http://www.livestream.com/paho (English)
Organized by the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO), the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the Global Women’s Institute of the George Washington University, Johns Hopkins University, and the Inter-Agency Gender Working Group.
- Dr. Mirta Roses Periago, PAHO Director
- Dr. Neil Boothby, Special Advisor and Senior Coordinator to the USAID Administrator on Children in Adversity
- Jacquelyn Campbell, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing: “The relationship between violence against women and violence against children: an overview of the evidence”
- Alessandra Guedes, PAHO advisor on intra-family violence: “Intergenerational effects of violence against women and children: findings from Latin America”
- Michele Moloney-Kitts, UNAIDS y Together for Girls: “From survey data to national action”
- Lori Heise, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: “What works to prevent partner violence and child maltreatment: lessons for the future”
- Mary Ellsberg, Director of the Global Women’s Institute at the George Washington University
Context: The panel will discuss the findings of new studies carried out in different regions, including Latin America and the Caribbean, which show that exposure to violence during childhood—whether as a direct victim of physical or sexual abuse or as a witness to violence against mothers—increases one’s risk of suffering violence later in life. Panelists will discuss the evidence, its implications and examples of effective interventions.
- Fact sheets on violence against women (PAHO)
- 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence
- United Nations Secretary General’s Campaign “UNiTE to End Violence against Women”
- WHO Violence and injury prevention
- Interagency Gender Working Group
- Global Women’s Institute – George Washington University
- Together for Girls
- Video message from PAHO Director Mirta Roses Periago
- Jerry Rivera, PAHO Champion of Health (PSA, in Spanish)