The objectives of these biennial meetings are:
- Review the strategies for the regional plan to prevent human rabies.
- Produce recommendations to the countries and to PAHO/WHO for the completion of the elimination process.
- Reinforce bonds of solidarity.
- Develop cooperation projects among the countries for rabies elimination.
Next meeting: REDIPRA 13 (Buenos Aires, 24–27 August 2010)
The rest of this page provides access to past REDIPRA reports and a review of its history.
- 1983: As per the agreements made at RIMSA 3 and at the 31st PAHO Executive Committee, the Director of PAHO/WHO calls the countries to the Meetings of National Rabies Program Directors of the Countries of the Americas. These REDIPRA meetings were to establish the main agreements for the elimination of dog-transmitted human rabies and the control of wildlife rabies. The first REDIPRA meeting held in Guayaquil, Ecuador, in 1983 laid the groundwork for the regional program to eliminate rabies from the major urban center of Latin America.
- 1992: On the occasion of REDIPRA IV held in Mexico City, its objectives were broadened to include dog-transmitted rabies in small towns and rural areas and to emphasize wildlife rabies
- 2004: PAHO/WHO promotes the study on dog-transmitted human rabies in Latin America, analyzing the current rabies situation. On this basis, the PAHO/WHO Director called for the countries to review the progress made since the beginning of the plan and to establish strategies for future phases, at REDIPRA X.
- 2005: At RIMSA 14 held in Mexico City in April 2005, the recommendations made at
REDIPRA X were adopted and a request was made for the PAHO/WHO Director to formulate a plan of action for 2005—2009. The objective of said plan was to complete the process of eliminating dog-transmitted human rabies and to reduce the risk of rabies transmitted by other species. It contained four components:
- providing human anti-rabies treatment,
- eliminating dog-transmitted human rabies,
- preventing human rabies cases transmitted by wildlife, and
- capacity-building in the countries to effect the implementation of activities to comply with the above objectives.
- 2006: Also at the initiative of RIMSA 14, for the first time REDIPRA XI incorporates the agricultural sector.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 May 2010 04:57