Some of the many lessons learned through planning and implementing VWA include:
- The VWA planning process needs to begin many months before the initiative in order to assure its success. To access copies of the Regional VWA planning workbooks, see "country resources."
- Countries need to place VWA activities in their national budget in order to assure sufficient funding.
- National and local level launchings provide a critical political commitment for VWA and national immunization programs, in addition to promoting Pan Americanism.
- VWA fosters strong inter-agency cooperation that focuses on the financial and human resources support, as well as the informational materials, necessary for the campaign. Strategic VWA partners include:
- VWA should be viewed as an annual opportunity to renew countries' commitment to their national immunization programs.