Prevention of Blindness and Eye Care
WHA59.25 Prevention of avoidable blindness and visual impairment. The Fifty-ninth World Health Assembly, Ninth plenary meeting, 27 May 2006–Committee A, sixth report.
Unit of Health Services Organization. Eye Diseases in People 40-84. The Barbados Eye Studies: A Summary Report. January 2006. THR/OS/06/08
The objective of this report is to provide a comprehensive summary of the results of the Barbados Eye Studies (1987-2002), which are a series of investigations on the major eye diseases affecting a Caribbean population. The major goal of the studies was to obtain information that could be used to prevent or control the main causes of visual loss. Consistent with this aim, the current report emphasizes results most relevant for informing public health policy and formulating strategies to address visual impairment and blindness.
Pan American Health Organization. Strategic Plan for Vision 2020: The Right to Sight. Caribbean Region. Washington, D.C. and Barbados 2002.
2. Vision 2020 Mission in the Caribbean
3. Regional Activities Proposed for Vision 2020
Reduction of Disease Burden
Refractive Errors and Low Vision
Human Resource Development
Infrastructure and Appropriate Technology
Eye Care Promotion, Public Education and Advocacy
Regional Coordinating Mechanism
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality of Care
Eye Care Program Health Services Organization. Technology and Health Services Delivery. Manual for the Training of Primary Health Workers in Eye Care. Washington, D.C. 2003 (OPS-PAHO/PBL/ 0.3.1)
I. TASK ANALYSIS
Module I: Eye Screening 1
Module II: Recognition of some eye conditions 4
Module III: Treatment of some eye conditions 9
Module VI: Referral of serious eye conditions
Module V: Ophthalmia Neonatorum
Module IV: Teaching the community
Organization and Management of Health Systems and Services. Guidelines for Development for Eye Care Programs and Services in the Caribbean. Report for the Workshop held in Trinidad and Tobago, 21-22, July 1997.
Table of Contents:
1. Eye care generalities
2.Childhood eye care and prevention of blindness
3. Prevention of blindness from Glaucoma in Latin America and the Caribbean
4. Eye care and prevention of blindness in Diabetes Mellitus
5. Eye care and prevention of blindness for the adults and elderly
6. Low vision care in Latin America and the Cribbean
7. Blindness and Vitamin A deficiency prevention
- Section 1. Overview of the present global blindness situation and future trends
- Section 2. Outline of main activities within a Global Initiative for the Elimination of Avoidable Blindness
- Section 3. Structure and work plan development for the Global Initiative for the Elimination of Avoidable Blindness
WHA56.26 Elimination of avoidable blindness FIFTY-SIXTH WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY WHA56.26 Agenda item 14.17 28 May 2003 Tenth plenary meeting, 28 May 2003 A56/VR/10
49th Directing Council. 61st Session Of The Regional Committee.