PAHO Research Promotion and Development
Welcome to PAHO Research Promotion and Development, the gateway to current information on research for health serving policy-makers, health-care providers, the general public and anyone interested in using research to advance public health, equity and development.
Our program focuses on the strengthening of research for health through the dissemination and translation of knowledge, the promotion of research governance, and the monitoring of ethics and standards within research practices. Our research portal draws together information gathered from the region on these key areas of interest.
The policy line of action in the Regional Strategy for Chronic Diseases encourages and provides technical cooperation for the establishment of sound and explicit public policies that support better health status and a life free of chronic disease-related disability, in initiatives taken to establish public health policies based on key WHO resolutions and recommendations that will address the broad social, economic, and political determinants of health.
Advocacy will be utilized to advance policy and institutional changes that will support chronic disease programs. It will emphasize the key role of governmental functions and empower the health sector to engage other sectors in collaborative actions to ensure that chronic disease issues are collectively addressed.
Health promotion and advocacy are one of the main thrusts of the policy line of action. This involves IEC campaigns (information/education/communication) to help people and health professionals become more aware of health issues. It also means raising awareness among not only the general public but policy-makers as well, as well as capacity-building and intersectorial (public, private, civil society) collaboration.
The family health behaviors are increasingly recognized as fundamental to both the increase in the protection against disease and to reduce the risk of health problems that affect its members. To celebrate the International Day of Families, the Latin American and Caribbean Center on Health...
The Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Dr. Mirta Roses, presented Peru with the Guinness world record for mass handwashing on March 2 and recognized the country for contributing the largest number of handwashers toward a regional Guinness world record for the Americas. A total of 604,246 students from throughout Peru washed their hands simultaneously on World Handwashing Day 2011 (Oct. 14).
- Third Ibero-American Contest for Good Health Promotion Practices in School Settings 2011-11-30 10:11:14
- PAHO, Seventh-day Adventists Partner to Strengthen Health Efforts in the Americas 2011-07-28 13:18:43
- Schoolchildren throughout the Americas Will Soap Up toward a Guinness World Record 2010-10-14 07:47:11
- PAHO Partners with Colgate-Palmolive to Advance Oral Health in Latin America and the Caribbean 2010-06-28 17:09:44
- Hispano-American and Inter-American Contest of Best Practices in Urbanization and Health 2010-02-12 16:33:20
- Summary of Regional Consultation on Health Promotion and the Provision of Care to MSM in LAC 2009-12-10 15:24:24
- Hands, Water and Sanitation Project (PROMAS) for Central america and the Dominican Republic 2009-09-24 16:15:50
- Humanitarian Clowns and Health Experts Join Forces, Using Art as a Bridge to Health and Development 2009-08-10 16:39:05
- Regional Strategy on an Integrated Approach to the Prevention and Control of Chronic Diseases 2008-02-26 17:05:57