Area of work:
The primary areas of work of the Sub-regional Advisor in Medicines, Vaccines and Health Technologies are to:
- Adapt and integrate global and regional strategic orientations in medicines, vaccines and HT into the PAHO Technology and Health Services Delivery (THS/EV) regional program of work in the Caribbean
- Build on existing networks and partnerships, to promote inter-country cooperation and commitment of stakeholders and to strengthen support through PAHO Collaborating Centres
- Assist the Caribbean Region and the CARICOM Secretariat in the development of common medicines policy, regulations and indicators for assessing the implementation and impact on access to medicines.
- Provide technical support to participating countries on issues of access to medicines & vaccines.
- Develop capacity in pharmaceutical supply management, identifying needs based on assessments.
Main Current Initiatives:
- Development of the PAHO Strategic Fund mechanism to facilitate access to HIV, TB and malaria drugs in Caribbean countries
- Support? Develop the Technical Secretariat of Caribbean Procurement Supply Management (CARIPROSUM) network; sharing information with and harmonization of norms and procedures used by the Caribbean Procurement Authorities.
- Development of standard indicators of performance
- Coordination with the Pan American Network for Drug Regulatory Harmonization (PANDRH), to support the processes of drug regulatory harmonizationCoordination with the CARICOM Secretariat to assess the drug registration status and the Intellectual Property Legislation and Patents in Caribbean countries.
- Evaluation of the pharmaceutical situation in Caribbean countries using WHO Level I Questionnaire and Level II survey forms.
Workshop and Upcoming Events:
- Support to the development of National Drug Formulary in Trinidad & Tobago (Port of Spain, February 27-28), sharing information and experience with Barbados, OECS/PPS, Suriname, Bahamas, Jamaica
- Support to a Pharmacovigilance workshop in St Lucia (June 11-12) to identify focal points among OECS countries for Drug Adverse Effects
- Support to OECS/PPS for the ARV Supply Management Training Workshop in St Lucia (June 12 -16)
- Training course on Pharmaceutical Assessment organized in Kingston (Jamaica, May 27 – June 02).
- CARIPROSUM annual meeting, scheduled for Belize, early November
- II Sub regional seminar on Regulation of Pharmaceuticals (TBD), early December;
- II sub regional meeting on Pharmacovigilance scheduled January 8-11, 2008 in Barbados.
Partners and Agencies / Organizations collaborating in the field of pharmaceuticals: