On April 4th 2010, PAHO/WHO country office in Trinidad and Tobago hosted a World Health Day 2010 planning meeting at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, to discuss the theme and ideas for activities. in collaboration with the Ministry of Health , Health Education Division.
There were 35 participants from the five Regional Health Authorities, the County Health Administrations, Regional Corporations, Borough and City Corporations, including the Deputy Mayor of the City of Port of Spain, Representative from Local Government and NGOs such as the Diabetes Association etc…
PAHO intern Wayne Joseph discussed the theme and concepts behind 1000 Cites: 100 Lives.
This year’s theme is “1000 Cities: 1000 Lives,” and focuses on the relationship between urban environments and human health & well-being. City residents for example, are prone to a number of health issues because the setting is not usually conducive to physical activities, and may actually promote behaviors that are detrimental to a healthy lifestyle.
Partial view of Stakeholders in attendance at World Health Day Planning Meeting.
The World Health Day planning meeting discussed activities to be implemented in various cities, boroughs and districts of Trinidad & Tobago. Many of these have existing initiatives that tie well into the World Health Day concept.
The result of the meeting was an affirmation of support from various stakeholders, and a list of programs in which the public can participate was formulated. The Ministry of Health has been particularly helpful in organizing and gaining support for World Health Day activities
Some of the World Health Day programming includes:
APRIL 7th 2010
• World Health Day Fair:
San Juan Promenade
• Health Walk & fun Physical Activities
Old Market Square & along the Scarborough Esplanade, Tobago
• Clean Up Campaign:
La Tosca Village, Tamana
APRIL 9th 2010
• Bring Back the Old Time Games.
• Brighton Sports Club Grounds, Arima. Games such as Hoola Hoop, Moral, Double Dutch, Kite Flying, Marble Pitch, 3 A, Hop Scotch and Traffic Light will be played. Screening for blood glucose & blood pressure to be conducted via mobile units.
APRIL 10th 2010
• Healthy Communities Caravan: Five rivers Community, St. Georges East.
Screening for blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure will take place. Education on family planning, nutrition and chronic and communicable diseases will also be provided.
APRIL 14th 2010
• Fun Physical Activity Day & Chronic Disease Support Group Network
Damarie Hill recreation grounds, Guaico, Sangre Grande. Chronic disease support groups engaging in fun physical activities
APRIL 25th 2010
• Trincity Streets for Wellness: closure of streets to traffic in Trincity on Sundays between 6am-9am. Activities will include running, walking, jogging, biking, aerobics and activities for kids.
APRIL 28th 2010
• Secondary School Aerobics Competition
Northeastern College: team competition and aerobics burnout.
MAY 2nd 2010
• World Health Day Dance-a-thon
St. James, Port-of-Spain. Promotion of physical activity and movement through music and dance. The St. James Streets for Wellness Program will also be launched.