WHO Mandates for Research:
- Research Protocol (Proposal)
- PAHO/WHO Ethical Guidelines for Research Involving Human Subjects
- Progress Report (Interim Report)
- Final Report & Abstract
- Policy Recommendations (PowerPoint, 61 KB)
Regional Program on Bioethics
WHO Tropical Disease Research
WHO/TDR Site: Grants | Forms
- Guidelines to Good Practices
- Guidelines to Good Clinical Practices for Trials on Pharmaceutical Products
- Workbook for Investigators
- Guidelines for the Establishment of Scientific and Ethical Review Bodies
- Operational Guidelines for Ethics Committees That Review Biomedical Research
Priority Disease Directories
Neglected Diseases |
Parasitic Diseases |
E. Piñeda & E.L. de Alvarado, Metodología de la investigación, 3rd ed. (PAHO, 2008): available through PALTEX
Update of American Trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniasis Control and Research: Final Report
(Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 6–7 November 2007): Volume of 28 scientific research reports
Z. Yadón et al. (eds.) Small Grants Program for Operational Research on Tropical Diseases: Final Reports 1995–2004 (in Spanish)
Z. Yadón et al. (eds.) Decentralization and Management of Communicable Disease Control in Latin America
F. Lolas & A. Quezada (eds.) New Perspectives: Ethical Guidelines for Research on Human Subjects (151 pp, PDF): An analysis of ethical issues arising in biomedical research, pointing out the most frequent concepts present in written guidelines and offering ethical perspectives on research involving human beings.
More on Grants
- Pan American Health and Education Foundation (PAHEF)
- Donor Institutions
- Fogarty International Center (FIC) (NIH/USA):
Directory of International Grants and Fellowships in the Health Sciences: Grant Opportunities |
- Canada (English-French bilingual site): Global Health Research Initiative (GHRI) / Initiative d'Investigacions en Santé Mondial (IRSM), Grants for pandemic and emerging infectious diseases: English | français
Free Online Journals
* Mandates in French:
Pan American Health and Education Foundation (PAHEF)
- The PAHEF Small Grants Program provides grants in the range of US$5000–25,000 to support innovative, results-oriented projects in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Main Grants Page
- PAHEF International Awards recognize excellence in inter-American public health; now accepting nominations.
About the PAHO-TDR Program
Strengthen the capacity of endemic countries to undertake research aimed at developing new control strategies for infectious diseases or at improving existing ones, through training and support in the form of grants to researchers beginning their career, to carry out operational research and other specific initiatives.
- Junior researchers, particularly MSc or PhD students from Latin American and Caribbean countries.
- Institutions such as universities, disease-control programs or other government entities involved with research and disease prevention and control.
Priority Diseases (based on current conditions)
Chagas, dengue, esquistosomiasis, filariasis, leishmaniasis, leprosy, malaria, onchoceriasis, TB.
- Small Grants Program (in partnership with WHO/TDR)
- Promote research in high-priority fields for the control of infectious diseases, mainly tropical diseases.
- Develop research capability by assisting junior researchers in methodological issues related to design and analysis of operational research.
- Workshops for Writing Proposals (held periodically for research groups).
- Special targeted initiatives: currently, Operational Research in Malaria Diagnosis & Treatment in the Amazon region.
Contact the Program