The UN Resolution UN A/Res/70/L1 "Transforming our World: the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development," adopted in September 2015, outlined an ambitious vision for a new era of global development starting in 2016. The Agenda, the universal plan of action for people, planet, peace, prosperity, and partnership, serves as a call to action for all countries and stakeholders to form collaborative partnerships in order to address the most important social, economic, environmental, and governance challenges of our time.
The Sustainable Development Goals
At the heart of the Agenda are 17 Goals, known as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and 169 targets. These goals reflect the scale of the Agenda and seek to go beyond the scope of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and complete what they did not finish.
Health and the SDGs
Health, as a key input to sustainable development and healthy populations, is fundamental to the spirit and pursuit of the 2030 Agenda.
- Health in the SDGs era Infographic
- Preparing the Region of the Americas to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goal on Health
- PAHO's Scientific and Technical contribution to SDG 3
- World Health Statistics Data Visualization Dashboard for Health and related indicators
Transition to the SDGs
The transition from the MDGs to the SDGs highlights the SDGs ability to rouse global efforts. In 2016 PAHO launched a comprehensive a report which provided a comprehensive assessment of progress made during the MDGs era as well as future challenges.
The Region of the Americas has demonstrated much enthusiasm in advancing the 17 Goals and to this end, PAHO has made great efforts to help guide the Region in the implementation of SDGs, especially SDG 3.
- Implementation of the SDGs in the Region of the Americas |pdf|
- Sustainable Development Goals Report 2016 (UN) |pdf|
- ECLAC Annual Report on Regional Progress and Challenges (2017)
- Summary of the ECLAC Annual Report on Regional Progress and Challenges (2017) |pdf|
- Progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Report by the Secretariat |pdf|