In light of the limited global supply of the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV), the PAHO Immunization Unit wanted to find ways to help countries strengthen compliance with the Multi-dose Open Vial Policy of the World Health Organization (WHO).
For this reason, a large magnet was designed that can be placed on the refrigerators of the vaccination centers.
The material highlights the recommended time a multi-dose vial should be used according to the type of vaccine:
- Liquid vaccines up to 28 days after opening the vial: IPV, bOPV, DPT, TT, DT, Td, Hepatitis B, Influenza, Varicela (verify presentation/provider), and liquid forms of the Hib vaccine.
- Lyophilized vaccines up to 6 hours after they are reconstituted: BCG, MR, MMR, Yellow Fever, Varicela (verify presentation/provider), and lyophilized forms of Hib vaccine.
During the weekend or in preparation for an electricity outage, emergency, or another event that could affect the cold chain storage, you should:
- Adequately prepare cold-packs and put them in thermos
- Pack and store the vaccines in the thermos
- Put a thermometer in the thermos
- Place the thermos in the refrigerator.
Editable file (Adobe InDesign): pdf Available here (2.01 MB)