The Pan American Health Organization invites you to participate virtually in the launch of the new Virtual Course on Preventing Self-harm/Suicide: Empowering Primary Healthcare Providers. The launch will be on Monday, 10 September 2018, as part of the activities to mark World Suicide Prevention Day. The human and economic costs of suicidal behavior to individuals, families, communities and society make suicide a serious public health problem around the world. Suicides are preventable, early detection and effective management are crucial to ensuring that people receive the care that they need.
PAHO's Mental Health and Substance Use Unit has developed an online course based on the suicide module of the WHO mhGAP Intervention Guide- which offers high quality foundational knowledge and practice to non-specialized health workers, to enhance their capacity to identify, assess, manage and provide follow up to people with suicidal behaviors. This self-paced course available on the PAHO Virtual Campus for Public Health (VCPH) platform provides both flexibility and accessibility to potential learners.
- DATE: Monday, 10 September, 2018
- TIME: 10:00 am, Washington D.C. time (check here the time in your zone)
- 10:00 am.- Opening Remarks. Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, PAHO
- 10:15 am.- Overview of the Online Course: "Preventing Suicide: Empowering PHC". Claudina Cayetano, Advisor on Mental Health, PAHO
- 10:35 am.- Learning Resources of the PAHO Virtual Campus of Public Health (VCPH). Lic. Gabriel Listovsky, Regional Coordinator, VCPH-HSS/, PAHO
- 10:44 am.- Questions and Answers
- 11:00 am.- Closing remarks
Moderator: Ms. Amy Tausch, consultant, Mental Health and Substance Use Unit, PAHO
Access to the course
Download the presentations of the webinar in the following link