Forty years ago, the Region of the Americas played a critical role in the development and negotiation of the Alma-Ata Declaration, which identified primary health care as a central strategy to the goal of health for all and a comprehensive approach to the organization of health systems.
Since then, the values and principles of primary health care, which include the right to health, equity, solidarity, social justice and participation, and multisectoral action, among others, have formed the basis of many PAHO mandates and have guided health systems transformation in the Region.
To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Declaration, PAHO has undertaken several initiatives to contribute to the regional and global movement for health for all.
HSS Announcements | HSS News
- New global commitment to Primary Health Care for all at Astana Conference 2018-10-25
Countries around the globe today signed the Declaration of Astana, vowing to strengthen their primary health care systems as an essential step toward achieving universal health coverage. The Declaration of Astana reaffirms the historic 1978 Declaration of Alma-Ata, the first time world leaders committed to primary health care.
- Regional movement for universal health launched 2017-12-13
A regional movement for universal health was launched here today by representatives of government, academia, civil society and experts from some thirty countries and territories of the Americas to identify obstacles and generate alliances to help countries reach the goal of health for all by 2030, without leaving anyone behind.
- PAHO Director calls for building alliances to leave no one behind on the road to universal health 2017-12-11
Expanding access and health coverage to the entire population will improve health and development, said Pan American Health Organization Director Carissa F. Etienne at the opening of a regional meeting today on universal health coverage.
- Ecuador acoge reunión regional de la OPS sobre salud universal 2017-12-10
- Caribbean Regulatory System recommends its first generic drugs for sale in the region 2017-06-12
- Voluntary blood donors are increasing, but the numbers are not enough to ensure sufficient blood supplies 2017-06-12
- Mesoamerica Ministers of Health Agree to Work Together to Meet Migrant Health Needs 2017-04-26
- "Women's Access to Social Protection in Health" in a changing world of work 2017-03-08
- LGBT advocates say stigma and discrimination are major barriers to health 2016-12-13
- Making health systems resilient to changing needs and threats must be a top priority, says PAHO Director 2016-11-16
- Directora de la OPS visita Nicaragua 2016-10-21
- Health leaders agree on actions to improve access to high-cost medicines and protect the health of migrants 2016-09-30
- Health leaders agree on actions to reduce disaster risks, make health systems more resilient in emergencies 2016-09-29
- Ministers of health to discuss actions to improve health in the Region 2016-09-23
- Nicaraguan local health systems to benefit under new project backed by Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and PAHO 2016-06-30
- OPS reconoce el aumento de la cobertura que logró Bolivia con el Proyecto Mi Salud de atención primaria en salud 2016-06-29
- Siete países de la región de las Américas se reunirán en Bolivia para intercambiar experiencias en atención primaria de la salud 2016-06-27
- Special issue of PAHO journal spotlights efforts to improve regulation of medicines in the Americas 2016-06-22
- Latin America and the Caribbean approaching half-way mark toward goal of 100% voluntary blood donation 2016-06-10
- Panama seeks to transform its health system, says minister of health in PAHO visit 2016-05-13
- Investing in health is fundamental for development in the Americas, says PAHO Director 2016-05-09
- Experts seek ways to boost public spending on health in Latin America and the Caribbean to achieve and sustain universal health 2015-12-07
- Regional health authorities and experts discuss the quality of health services in the Americas 2015-11-06
- High cost of medicines can undermine health systems' sustainability 2015-05-22
2018 Global Conference on Primary Health Care
In 2018 the world will come together at the Global Conference on Primary Health Care to recommit to strengthening primary health care to achieve universal health coverage and the Sustainable Development Goals. The conference, co-hosted by Government of Kazakhstan, the World Health Organization and UNICEF, will take place on 25-26 October on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Declaration of Alma-Ata. The anniversary of this seminal milestone in global health provides an opportunity to reaffirm the principles of the original declaration and underline the importance of primary health care to achieve our collective goals for the 21st century.
- Photo album "From Alma-Ata to Universal Health: 40 Years of Images"
- This photo album was prepared to highlight PAHO’s contributions to the implementation of the Primary Health Care Strategy in the Americas and to honor the “champions” who have relentlessly advocated for the health of all people and their communities.
Timeline: From Alma-Ata to Universal Health: 40 Years
Scientific articles and case studies
- This special issue of the Pan American Journal of Public Health (PAJPH) showcases innovative paths countries in Latin America and the Caribbean are taking to advance primary health care, strengthen their health systems, and improve the health and well-being of their populations.
- “Primary health care in the Region of the Americas 40 years after the Alma-Ata Declaration”
- “Types of health systems reforms in Latin America and results in health access and coverage”
- “Can primary health care strengthen the right to adequate food as a human right in Latin America?” –and more than a dozen others.
Free download of full-text articles from the Special issue of the Pan American Journal of Public health on Primary Health Care Alma Ata
- In support of the Global Conference on Primary Health Care and the Declaration of Astana, a series of brief county case studies on various PHC reforms over the past four decades was completed.
- “Brazil. The Mais médicos programme”
- “Canada. Quebec's policy of prevention in health, a HiAP approach”
- “El Salvador. Territorial community teams”
- “Jamaica. Development of workforce for first level of care”
- “Suriname. Reducing the burden of disease and health inequity through HiAP”
Free download of Case studies from WHO Webpage - Primary Health
- Play list at PAHO TV
- Check out these interviews with National Health Authorities of the Americas, health leaders from the Region, as well as PAHO participants, at the Global Conference on Primary Health, Astana, Kazakhstan. Some of the questions answered in these 14 videos playlist are: What happened to the vision of Alma-Ata Declaration in the last 40 years? What is Primary Health Care? Click here to watch all the videos at PAHO TV
Social MediaTweets by @pahowho