13 September 2019 - Webinar: Working Together to Prevent Suicide
World Suicide Prevention Day 2019
On Friday, 13 September, and as part of the activities to mark World Suicide Prevention Day (10 September), the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) will host a webinar title "Working together to prevent suicide", with the participation of speakers from countries across the Region of the Americas who will present experiences in preventing suicide in different contexts.
Read below the details to join this webinar, as well as more information World Suicide Prevention Day and the resources available on suicide prevention.
- DATE: Friday, 13 September, 2019
- TIME: 1:00 pm, EDT (check here the time in your zone)
Agenda and presentations
(Click on the title to download the presentation)
- 1:00 pm - Welcome and Opening Remarks. Technical presentation on Suicide in the Region of the Americas. Dr. Claudina Cayetano,Regional Advisor, Mental Health and Substance Use
- 1:15 pm - Monitoring and Evaluation of Media Reporting on Suicide in Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago. Ashvini Baball, manager of the Mental Health Unit, Ministry of Health.
- 1:30 pm - Primary health care as an initiative to address suicide in indigenous communities of Vaupés, Colombia. Jovana Alexandra Ocampo Caña, Researcher and Professor at the Los Andes University (Presentation in Spanish)
- 2:00 pm - Questions & Answers
- 2:15 pm - Closing remarks: Dr. Claudina Cayetano,Regional Advisor, Mental Health and Substance Use Unit
- Moderated by: Ms. Amy Tausch, Consultant, Mental Health and Substance Use Unit
- 10:00 - Los Angeles
- 11:00 - San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 12:00 - Bogotá, Lima, México City, Quito, Kingston
- 1:00 - Bridgetown, La Paz, Santo Domingo, Santiago de Chile
- 2:00 - Brasilia, Buenos Aires
For other cities, get the time using the following link
World Suicide Prevention Day 2019: Working Together to Prevent Suicide
Each year, approximately 800 000 people die by suicide globally. In the Region of the Americas, it is estimated that the number of suicide deaths per year reaches nearly 100,000. Suicide and suicide attempts impact entire families, communities and societies. World Suicide Prevention Day is a day celebrated annually on September 10th to raise awareness around the globe that suicide can be prevented. This year’s theme is “working together to prevent suicide.” Suicide prevention requires a collective effort on the part of families, friends, co-workers, community members, educators, religious leaders, healthcare professionals, political officials and governments. Suicide affects everyone, and we all have something to contribute to preventing it. This Day has been observed for more than 15 years. Our efforts will continue throughout the month inclusive of 10 October when we observe World Mental Health Day under the same theme.
– Press-release: Suicide: one person dies every 40 seconds
Feature story: Changing journalistic coverage of suicide in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin American journalists are redefining how they communicate about suicide. For many years, cases of suicide have been treated as a spectacle in the media or they have been silenced for fear of “contagion”. However, responsible coverage can contribute to suicide prevention by reducing the risk of copycat behavior, helping to change false perceptions, and encouraging people to seek help.
PAHO has been conducting virtual and on-site training on the subject. In 2017, more than 130 journalists, communicators, and mental health professionals from 30 countries in the Region participated in an online workshop. Health ministries, together with PAHO country offices, also organized meetings to promote responsible coverage in their countries. These included Argentina, Trinidad and Tobago, and Uruguay, among others.
Learn more about this experiences at Changing journalistic coverage of suicide in Latin America and the Caribbean.
On Suicide Prevention
- Preventing suicide: a resource for media professionals - update 2017 (WHO)
- Prevention of suicidal behavior - 2016 (PAHO)
- Suicide Mortality in the Americas - 2014 (PAHO)
- Preventing suicide: a resource series (WHO)
- National suicide prevention strategies: progress, examples and indicators - 2018 (WHO)
- Preventing Suicide: A Global Imperative - 2014 (WHO)
- Preventing suicide: a community engagement toolkit Pilot version 1.0 - 2016 (WHO)
On Mental Health
- The Burden of Mental Disorders in the Region of the Americas - 2018 (PAHO)
- Atlas of Mental Health of the Americas - 2017 (PAHO)
- mhGAP Intervention Guide, Version 2.0 - 2016 (WHO)