PAHO is routinely screening the wealth of information available in the web and selecting the most relevant information as a service to policy decision makers, health workers, practitioners, community workers and civil society involved in research for health. A selection of resources is presented below as a tool to help stakeholders striving to strengthen national health research systems and research governance. We invite you to browse at your convenience through books, articles, e-journals, courses and workshops, and other websites.
- Information Resources
- Home (Research)
- Advisory Committee
- Our Focus
- Featured Partnerships for Research for Health
- Information Resources
- Training opportunities
- Art for Research
- Research Internships
Information Resources for Research for Health
Evipnet documents, tools, other resources, and glossaries
- EVIPNet Americas Secretariat. Comment. EVIPNet Americas: informing policies with evidenceThe Lancet. Vol. 372, Issue 9644, 27 September 2008, Pages 1130-1131
- EVIPNet: translating the spirit of MexicoHamid M et al. The Lancet. Vol 366, Issue 9499, 19 November 2005-25 November 2005, Pages 1758-1760
- EVIPNet: Evidence-Informed Policy NetworksPan American Health Organization. Progress Report. 42nd Meeting of the Advisory Committee on Health Research (ACHR). Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 13 to 15 April 2008. (ACHR 42/2008.05)
- EVIPNet: Evidence-Informed Policy Networks. Progress Report. 41st Meeting of the Advisory Committee on Health Research (ACHR)Pan American Health Organization, Washington, D.C., 29 & 30 November 2007. (ACHR 41/2007.04)
- EVIPNet: Evidence-Informed Policy Networks. 40th Meeting of the Advisory Committee on Health Research (ACHR)Pan American Health Organization. Montego Bay, Jamaica, 29 April to 1 May 2007 (ACHR 40/2007.06)
- Testing Treatments - Better Research for Better Healthcare - 2011Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
British Library - second edition 2011
Aimed at both patients and professionals, Testing Treatments builds a lively and thought provoking argument for better, more reliable, more relevant research, with unbiased or ‘fair' trials, and explains how patients can work with doctors to achieve this vital goal.
- Changing Mindset: Strategy on Health Policy and Systems Research
WHO Strategy for Health Policy and Systems Research
This Strategy launched in 2012 represents a major breakthrough in health policy and systems research (HPSR) by undertaking three broad aims: to unify the worlds of research and decision making; to provide insight into the dynamic processes of generating evidence; and to call attention towards HPSR and ultimately move the field ahead.
- DarePublished by the Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. There is an ever growing evidence base relating to the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of health care interventions, but for clinicians and decision-makers this literature can be difficult and time consuming to identify and appraise. These these databases provide access to: 21,000 systematic reviews, 11,000 economic evaluations. 10,000 health technology assessments.
- Integrated Health Care for People with Chronic ConditionsOxman AD, Bjørndal A, Flottorp S, Lewin S. Lindahl AK
- Mac Master Forum.For concerned citizens and influential thinkers and doers, the McMaster Health Forum strives to be a world-leading hub for improving health outcomes through collective problem solving.
- The Rx for Change database:Summarizes current research evidence about the effects of strategies to improve drug prescribing practice and drug use. This database houses summaries of key findings from systematic reviews that evaluate the effects of strategies targeting professionals, the organization of health care, and consumers. Initially published on-line in April 2007 and updated in April 2009 and October 2009. For information about the methods, see Methods for Development.
- Cochrane Library:A unique source of reliable and up-to-date information on the effects of interventions in health care. Health care in the 21st century relies not only on individual medical skills, but also on the best information on the effectiveness of each intervention being accessible to practitioners, patients and policy makers.
- Centre for Translational Research in Public HealthA UKCRC Public Health Research Centre of Excellence
- Knowledge Translation in Low & Middle-Income Countries: A Learning ModulePrepared by The Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research
in partnership with the Knowledge Translation Branch and Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Implementation ScienceAn open access, peer-reviewed online journal that publishes research relevant to the scientific study of methods to promote the uptake of research findings into routine healthcare in both clinical and policy contexts.
- PubMedComprises more than 20 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
- PubMed Clinical queries:This page provides the following specialized PubMed searches for clinicians. Search by clinical Study Category, Systematic Reviews and Medical Genetics Searches.
- SUPPORT Summaries Tools for Evidence-Informed Policy-MakingSUPPORT Summaries Tools for Evidence-Informed Policy-Making (STP): Una serie de 10 artículos escritos para personas responsible de tomar decisiones acerca de políticas y programas de salud y para aquellos que apoyan a éstos decisores. Originalmente publicados en: Health Research Policy and Systems 2009.
- Health Research Policy and Systems:
An open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that aims to provide a platform for the global research community to share their views, findings, insights and successes.
Other Information Resources
Publications and other information resources: EVIPNET
Strengthening National Health Research Systems documents and Latin America Conference Reports
2nd LACRIH Panama 2011
Latin America Conference Reports
Search engines to retrieve Researcher's Curriculum Vitae from Latin American and Caribbean
Research for Health Newsletter
Research Promotion and Development Videos
For more information:
- RESEARCH COCHRANE CANADA WEBINARS (Using and producing research for public health) (English and French)
For more information: