The 53rd Directing Council of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) took place from 29 September to 3 October 2014 in Washington, D.C.
The Directing Council is one of PAHO's Governing Bodies and meets yearly, except in years when the Pan American Sanitary Conference-the Organization's supreme authority-convenes.
The Directing Council, made up of representatives of PAHO Member States, sets the Organizations policies and priorities for technical cooperation, discusses regional public health challenges, and establishes strategies and plans of action to improve population health and prevent diseases and death. It also provides a forum for exchange information and ideas.
Home - DC53 | News - CD53
- PAHO Director urges countries to tackle nutrition problems through collective action 2015-09-26
Ensuring that "everyone has access to a diet that is nutritionally sound, culturally acceptable and affordable throughout the life course" is a major public health challenge, the director of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) said during an event focused on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) number 2, "Zero Hunger," held in parallel with the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
- Experts Discuss Actions to Include Health in All Public Policies in the Countries of the Americas 2015-03-30
A panel of experts from around the world will discuss the instruments and mechanisms that the countries of the Americas can use to ensure that all public policies——not just health sector policies—— consider the potential impact on people's well-being. The meeting will be held at the headquarters of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) in Washington, D.C. on March 31-April 1.
- First-ever Universal Health Coverage Day urges "Health for all - everywhere" 2014-12-12
The Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) has joined a coalition of more than 500 organizations from over 100 countries to celebrate the first-ever Universal Health Coverage Day on December 12.
- 53rd PAHO Directing Council takes action to protect and promote health in the Americas 2014-10-07
- 53rd PAHO Directing Council concludes agenda, with "historic" agreement on universal health coverage 2014-10-03
- Health officials from the Americas chart a path toward universal health coverage 2014-10-02
- Countries pledge action to reduce child obesity in the Americas 2014-10-02
- Health leaders from the Americas pledge to improve access to health services for people with disabilities 2014-10-02
- Ministries of health of the Americas seek to strengthen coordination of humanitarian assistance in emergencies and disasters 2014-10-02
- Health officials seek to reduce blindness and visual impairment in the Americas 2014-10-02
- Health officials briefed on Ebola and chikungunya during 53rd PAHO Directing Council 2014-10-02
- Ministers of health of the Americas pledge action to improve mental health care 2014-10-02
- Countries of the Americas seek to ensure safe and ample blood supplies through 100% voluntary donation 2014-10-01
- Countries highlight benefits of purchasing vaccines through the PAHO Revolving Fund 2014-10-01
- Health authorities agree on the need to ensure that health is at the center of the post-2015 development agenda 2014-10-01
- Countries of the Americas agree to promote health in all public policies that have potential health impact 2014-09-30
- 2014 Awards for Excellence in Inter-American Public Health 2014-09-29
- PAHO and The Carter Center congratulate Ecuador as second in the Americas to achieve elimination of onchocerciasis (river blindness) 2014-09-29
- Puerto Rico's First Lady endorses PAHO plan of action on child obesity 2014-09-29
- Top health officials from throughout the Americas urge action to advance toward universal health coverage 2014-09-29
- La Primera Dama de Puerto Rico hablará ante la OPS sobre prevención de la obesidad infantil 2014-09-26
- Etienne briefs OAS ambassadors on agenda for the 53rd PAHO Directing Council 2014-09-25
Home - DC53 | Side Events - CD53
- Analizan las implicancias del cambio climático en la salud para las Américas 2014-10-03
Un panel de expertos analizó las implicancias del cambio climático en la salud de la población de las Américas, en el marco de un evento paralelo organizado durante el 53º Consejo Directivo de la Organización Panamericana de la Salud (OPS).
- Tobacco fight advances, but "desperate" industry pushes back 2014-10-03
Public health efforts to fight the tobacco epidemic have advanced significantly since the first scientific evidence was published showing tobacco as cancer-causing, addictive and deadly—when used precisely as suggested by the manufacturer.
- PAHO and AMEXCID sign cooperation protocol to improve health in the Americas 2014-10-02
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID) today signed a protocol of intent for cooperation to improve health in the Americas, in the framework of a meeting of ministers from countries of Mesoamerica.
- As countries advance toward disease elimination, the need for sustained funding remains 2014-10-01
- Health has to have a role in preventing and responding to violence against women and children 2014-09-30
- Inter-American working group proposed to advance action on noncommunicable diseases 2014-09-30