PAHO/WHO’s Caribbean Program Coordination has been in contact with health authorities in Dominica and reports the following update:
- There is damage to roof of psychiatric unit and the ICU of the Princess Margaret Hospital (capacity 227 beds), which is the only hospital in Dominica. There is also damage to the female medical wing.
- There is significant leakage in the maternity ward, leading to heavy water damage in the ceiling; there was also damage to electrical system.
- There were no injuries to patients, all of whom had been evacuated.
- There was no loss of equipment or supplies because hospital authorities had concerns about the integrity of parts of the buildings, all sectors had hurricanes plans and they were efficiently put in place.
- There have been two deaths and less than 30 injuries.
- Damage to the health sector is estimated (preliminary) at $3 million.