Washington, DC, September 23, 2011 (PAHO/WHO) — Ministers of Health of all the countries of the Americas will gather at the headquarters of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) here on Monday, September 26, for their annual Directing Council meeting.
For five days, the health leaders will analyze the health situation in the region and discuss key resolutions on public health problems facing the Americas.
The meeting starts at 9 a.m. Monday at PAHO Headquarters, 525 23rd St., NW, Washington D.C. Its agenda covers a series of key public health topics including:
- A strategy and plan of action on urban health
- A strategy and plan of action on “E-health”
- Plan of action to reduce maternal mortality
- Plan of action on epilepsy
- Strategy and plan of action on climate change
- Plan of action on road safety
- Plan of action to reduce harmful use of alcohol
- Strategy and plan of action on malaria
- Report on the United Nations High-Level Meeting on Noncommunicable Diseases
Other activities related to the meeting include:
- A panel of experts on safe motherhood and sexual and reproductive health, with Dr. Michelle Bachelet, Director of U.N. Women; Her Royal Highness the Infanta Cristina of Spain; and WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan.
- The photography exhibit “Safe Motherhood in Latin America and the Caribbean” featuring the winners of a photo contest organized as part of the Safe Motherhood Initiative
- The commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the PAHO/WHO International Health Program
- The launch of a new publication on the elimination of rubella and congenital rubella syndrome
PAHO was established in 1902 and is the world’s oldest international public health organization. It works with all the countries of the Americas to improve the health and quality of life of the people of the Americas and serves as the Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization (WHO).
We invite you to join and subscribe to our blog: PAHO 51 Directing Council coverage
Webcast: Selected sessions will be broadcast live on LiveStream