World Health Day is celebrated on 7 April to mark the anniversary of the founding of WHO in 1948. The day provides an opportunity to start collective action on a single global health challenge and to engage everyone in finding solutions that benefit us all. The topic of World Health Day in 2012 is Aging and Health with the theme "Good health adds life to years". The panel discussion aims to address public health challenges associated with aging populations and to provide recommendations and strategies to address them. It also intends to contribute to the deliberations of the “UN General Assembly open-ended working group on aging”.
- Mateo Estreme, Deputy Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN “Update on the UN Working group on Aging”
- Dr. Jacob Kumaresan, Executive Director, WHO Office at the UN “Policy options for healthy aging”
- Dr. Simin Nikbin Meydani, Director, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University. “Nutrition policies for healthy aging”
- Jessica Frank Lopez, Chair, United Nations NGO Committee on Aging “Current advocacy challenges and priorities”
- Linda I. Gibbs, Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, NYC “Age-friendly cities”