The World Health Assembly (WHA) is the supreme decision-making body for WHO. It meets annually in Geneva in May, and is attended by delegations from all 194 Member States. Its main function is to determine the policies of the Organization. The Health Assembly appoints the Director-General, supervises the financial policies of the Organization, and reviews and approves the Proposed programme budget. It also considers reports of the Executive Board, which it instructs in regard to matters upon which further action, study, investigation or report may be required.
69th World Health Assembly | 69 WHA News
- Sixty-ninth World Health Assembly closes 2016-05-28
The Sixty-ninth World Health Assembly closed today after approving new resolutions on WHO's Framework for Engagement with Non-State Actors; the Sustainable Development Goals; the International Health Regulations; tobacco control; road traffic deaths and injuries; nutrition; HIV, hepatitis and STIs; mycetoma; research and development; access to medicines and integrated health services.
- Acuerdan resoluciones sobre obesidad infantil, violencia, trabajadores de la salud y elección del Director General 2016-05-28
Los delegados en la Asamblea Mundial de la Salud han acordado resoluciones y decisiones vinculadas a la contaminación del aire, los productos químicos, el personal de salud, la obesidad infantil, la violencia, las enfermedades no transmisibles, y la elección del próximo Director General.
- World Health Assembly agrees on resolutions on women's, children's, and adolescents' health, healthy aging 2016-05-27
Delegates at the World Health Assembly agreed, on 26 May, to implement two new health strategies that are aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals. One relates to women's, children's, and adolescents' health; the other, to healthy aging.
- Medicus Mundi Spain wins award for strengthening health systems in four Latin American countries 2016-05-27
- Colombia, Jamaica, and Mexico elected to the WHO Executive Board 2016-05-27
- World Health Assembly approves new Health Emergencies Program 2016-05-26
- Health Ministers of the Americas Discuss How to Meet the Health Targets in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development 2016-05-25
- Placing women, children, and adolescents at the center of actions is essential to achieving the SDGs 2016-05-25
- World Health Assembly highlights importance of multisectoral action in health 2016-05-24
- Grenada to hold vice-presidency of Committee A, which debates technical matters at the World Health Assembly 2016-05-24
- Chef Jamie Oliver, several countries of the Americas, and other nations share successful experiences tackling childhood obesity 2016-05-24
- The 69th World Health Assembly opens in Geneva 2016-05-23
- Brazil announces it will investigate other possible consequences of the Zika virus in infants 2016-05-23
- Region of the Americas: The new development agenda provides an opportunity to speed progress against epidemics 2016-05-23
- PAHO Director and delegations of the Americas study topics to be discussed at the 69th World Health Assembly 2016-05-23
- Panama designated as Vice-President of the 69th World Health Assembly 2016-05-23
- Emergency response experience in the countries of the Americas: PAHO Director informs UNASUR ministers 2016-05-22
- Health authorities from the Americas to participate in the 69th World Health Assembly 2016-05-20
- Respuesta a emergencias de salud estuvo en el centro de la agenda de la Asamblea Mundial de la Salud
- Ministros de Salud de Costa Rica, Panamá, Uruguay y Estados Unidos comparten experiencias de eSalud en Asamblea Mundial
- PAHO hosts photo exhibit on the response to the Zika virus outbreak in the countries of the Americas
- PAHO Director meets with CARICOM Health Ministers
- Chile and other countries agree on the need for multisectoral action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Providing health services to women and adolescent girls will be key to ending the HIV epidemic by 2030
- Commonwealth Health Ministers discuss health security and its impact on universal health coverage
- PAHO member countries sponsor side events on key health issues at this year's World Health Assembly