The Immunization Newsletter is published every two months, in Spanish, English and French by the Immunization Unit of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization (WHO). Its purpose is to facilitate the exchange of ideas and information concerning immunization programs in the Region, in order to promote greater knowledge of the problems faced and their possible solutions.
References to commercial products and the publication of signed articles in this Newsletter do not constitute endorsement by PAHO/WHO, nor do they necessarily represent the policy of the Organization.
The Immunization Newsletter is in PDF file format. To view this PDF file you will need the Adobe Reader, available free at: www.adobe.com
Thirty years of the Immunization Newsletter (1979 - 2009)
“Thirty years of the Immunization Newsletter: The history of the EPI in the Americas” compiles over 2,500 articles on immunization published since 1979. This book will take you from the early implementation of the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) in the Americas to the current efforts to sustainably introduce new vaccines. You will read about the regional polio, measles and rubella elimination initiatives, from their conception to their achievement, and of the many experiences and lessons learned that have made the Immunization Program of the Americas one of the most successful life-saving initiatives in the world.
Please visit E-book site: http://www.paho.org/inb
- Immunization Newsletter - October 2013 IN THIS ISSUE: Progress Made in the Integration of EPI Costing and Planning; Workshop for Rotavirus Genotyping; Evidence-Based Decision-Making for New Vaccine Introduction; Member States Endorse the Continued Strengthening of Evidence-Based Policy-Making for National Immunization Programs; Update on the Status of PAHO’s Revolving Fund for Vaccine Procurement and Progress Report on Regional Development of Vaccines and Hemoderivatives; The Fifty-Second Directing Council of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Passes a Resolution in Support of the Revolving Fund and its Guiding Principles; Measles & Rubella Meetings; Measles/Rubella/Congenital Rubella Syndrome Surveillance Data. Final Classification, 2012; Recent SAGE Recommendations on Influenza
- Immunization Newsletter - August 2013 IN THIS ISSUE: XXI Meeting of PAHO’s Technical Advisory Group (TAG) on Vaccine-preventable Diseases: "Vaccination: A Shared Responsibility"; Meeting of the Vaccine-Preventable Disease Laboratory Networks for the Region of the Americas; Polio, TAG Recommendations; Measles and Rubella, TAG Recommendations; Pertussis, TAG Recommendations; Yellow Fever, TAG Recommendations; Pneumococcal Vaccination in Adults, TAG Recommendations; Meningococcal Disease and Vaccines, TAG Recommendations; Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Introduction and Framework for Impact Evaluation, TAG Recommendations
- Immunization Newsletter - June 2013 Vaccination Week in the Americas, 2013; Reducing Injection Pain during Vaccination and the Risk of Local Reactions and Abscesses; The Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development and PAHO’s Comprehensive Family Immunization Unit: A Partnership to Strengthen the Routine Expanded Program on Immunization in Latin America and the Caribbean; Haiti Makes Efforts to Strengthen its National Immunization Program; Positioning a Child for Injections; After the Vaccines… ; Paraguay and Uruguay Introduce the Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine
- Immunization Newsletter - April 2013 IN THIS ISSUE: Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Seasonal Influenza Vaccine in Latin America and the Caribbean: The Technical Declaration of the City of Antigua; The Golden Anniversary: 50 Years of the Measles Vaccine; Evaluation Study of “Vaccination Week in the Americas” in a Border Area: Bolívar Municipality, Táchira State, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, 2011; Costing of the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) in Honduras; VACUNATON: One-Day Intensive Vaccination Strategy to Reach Measles and Rubella Vaccination Targets in Bolivia; Reported Diphtheria in the Americas Reached Historical Lowest Level in 2012; Pertussis/Diphtheria/Tetanus/Mumps Data Final Classification, 2011-2012; The GAVI Alliance Honors Four PAHO Member States for Their Immunization Achievements
- Immunization Newsletter - February 2013 IN THIS ISSUE: Global Vaccine Action Plan (GVAP); Meeting of the Polio Lab.Network in the Americas; What the GVAP Means for the Americas; Proposed Strategic Objective-Level Indicators; Private and Public Health Sectors Collaborate in Measles and Rubella Surveillance in Chile; Development of a Regional Framework to Evaluate HPV Vaccination; 2013 Vaccine and Syringe Prices from the PAHO Revolving Fund; Trinidad and Tobago introduces HPV vaccine
- Immunization Newsletter - December 2012 IN THIS ISSUE: Immunization Registries in Latin America: Progress and Lessons Learned; Immunization and Birth Registration; The Information System of Brazil’s National Immunization Program; Web-based EPI Monitoring System by Birth Cohort in Bogotá, Colombia; NOTI-PAI: An Innovative Feature of Bogotá’s Immunization Registry; Chile’s National Immunization Registry; Information Management System, Tucumán, Argentina; Mobile Data Entry Clerk: An Innovative Idea Worth Exploring; Paraguay’s New Immunization Information System; Uruguay’s Nominal Immunization Registry; Pertussis/Diphtheria/Tetanus/Mumps Data Final Classification, 2010-2011; Lessons Learned from Implementing a Nominal Immunization Registry in Honduras